Early Entry and Accommodation at UC? (1 Viewer)

ando08182

HSC
Just starting to have a look around at possibly unis to go to, and just wanted to find out about early entry and about accommodation on campus which is the best one to live in in regards to social activities, how good the actual bedrooms are in the apartments etc. I'm weighing up between a few unis at the moment to do sports science :) And if there is anyone else considering going to Canberra and maybe thinking of doing sports coaching/science let me know! :)

booshbanditxx

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm in my first year at UC and love it! A lot of people I speak to at uni are doing sports science. :)

I got in with early entry and deferred. It's known as the Principal's Recommendation Scheme. All that is required is that you fill out a super simple form (pretty much just name, school, and course), get your principal to sign it, send it off, and have your preferred UC course as your first UAC preference. The form is easily found UC's website under the future students tab.

I live on res too. I'm in Old Res, so I'm a bit bias :) Old Res is really recommended for freshers. There's always lots of social activities, and if you do end up going to UC, definitely go to Fresher's Week, it's how I made most of my friends. The buildings of Old Res are kinda dated, and the rooms are small, but I've found that they do the job just fine. Benefit of Old Res is you get your own mirror and hand basin in your room so you don't have to share that with the rest of your floor, which is 12 - 13 people. Old Res is also the most value for money, in my opinion.
Globo is nice and flashy and newish, also recommened for freshers, you only share with 5 people in those apartments, but from what I can tell no way near as 'close - knit' as Old Res. They also don't have ovens. I think the rooms are bigger, but quite pricey.
UV is also good for freshers, most affordable, sharing with 12 people, but they're demountables. So yeah.
The new accommodation they are building at the moment will probably be finished by next year, so that's another option, but the only thing I can tell you about that is that they will be $$$$$$$!
There's also International House, which could be interesting, but also difficult because most people there are exchange students.
There's also Arscott House, which is run by the student union. They have cleaners, and get meals, but once again expensive.
No need to look at the other options, they're better suited to returners.
But overall, no matter which accommodation you chose, you are always going to feel a bit ripped off because maintenance is a bit slack. And the parties and sharing means that common areas can get quite filthy. It's something you quickly get used to though!
So yeah, hope that helps a bit :)

Last edited:

ando08182

HSC
Thank you so much! Went to the open day last Saturday you are completely right about the accommodation. I think I would permanently smell like Asian food in International House (of course no offense meant, but I think I saw 4 rice cookers in the one kitchen) and that isn't really my thing. I loved the 'close knit' feel of Old Res and whilst Mum hated how filth it was in the common areas, I don't think it will phase me that much. UV impressed me too despite the fact they are demountables, but they were also bigger rooms and better set out in terms of the common areas and the rooms. But they didn't have their own sink :( But I was impressed with the sound of the course at UC to do Exercise science and ill have some thinking to do! Unfortunately I spoke to my careers advisor about the Principals scheme and he told me it was aimed for people who didn't think they were going to get the ATAR mark and I had to go to all my teachers to get an estimate on the band ill get in each subject so yeah :/

booshbanditxx

HSC
Uni Grad
Really? I'm pretty sure anyone can have a go at the Principle's Recommendation Scheme. Unless they've drastically changed it. I only needed a 65 for my course, and I knew I was going to get better than that, but I still went for it anyway. Took a little bit of the pressure off knowing that I was already sort - of in. :)

But yeah, Old Res, UV and Globo are probably you're best options :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)