Easiest and Hardest Math Topics (1 Viewer)

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
Original Poster:

I know this is a question heavily based upon one's mathematical abilities and their pace blah blah blah so I know it really depends.
But I was just wondering for Year 12 ADV and Year 12 Ext 1, what would be some topics that are easy to grasp or easier to grasp than others and vice versa for the hardest ones. For example
for year 11, the hardest topic would be perms and combs in my opinion
I'm also asking this to those who did not do physics. Preferably anyone who did ext 1 or ext 2:)
imo perms and combs with cases still the hardest followed by the forces stuff in vectors (physics people seem to be good at this)

Everything else is actually okay like it's predominantly calculus and projectile motion is fine too.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
With HSC Mathematics Advanced, the topics I personally found the most difficult were those which Question 25 and Question 26 from the 2020 paper come under.

While statistics were not part of the syllabus when I did my HSC, I did take and perform well (HD) in a compulsory statistics unit during my first year at university which covered pretty much all the statistics-related concepts from Mathematics Advanced in addition to new concepts. As someone with rather modest mathematical capabilities who doesn't like maths like myself, I personally enjoyed statistics. If you enjoyed/didn't mind probability and probability distributions in year 11, I believe you'll also feel comfortable with the Statistical Analysis topic in year 12.

I hope this helps! :D

Luke322

HSC
lol I remember old syllabus 4u; harder 3u was a nightmare. The old syllabus 4u was a good challenge, quite a bit harder than the new one.

A1La5

HSC
I don't do Year 12 Advanced, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd say "The Normal Distribution" given how it combines integration with probability theorem from Year 11. Given that you're doing Extension 1 you do have a leg up on the other Advanced students though, as Extension 1 explores the normal distribution further.

Perms and Combs is the clear winner for Extension 1 though. As others have mentioned the extension 1 course is predominantly calculus, so a fair portion of the course shouldn't be too difficult if you understand it.

A1La5

HSC
Original Poster:

k thanks. I'm just thinking as my school has currently finished all topics, we're basically revising but I wanted to get ahead for some year 12 topics so yeah. Might as well get a solid foundation for the difficult topics first
Integration is a good starting point. Integration is the main background knowledge required to understand the Normal Distributions topic, plus as I mentioned before doing integration first gives you the extra edge in getting ahead for other year 12 topics, knowing that integration appears in several topics, both in Advanced and in Extension 1.

rajeshtheting

HSC
stats imo was defo the hardest for me for advanced ... for 3u id prolly say like p and c questions or anything to do with probability (as they can go quite abstract and vague)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)