ecmt1010 ..QUiZ next week? (1 Viewer)

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Academic honesty. He probably he thinks he will get busted.

sarevok

HSC
i don't think working on these practice questions with other people would violate academic honesty. if you want my answers, just tell me and i'll email them to you. but i'd rather not keep them up here where any random can get them

matt#1

HSC
N/A
sarevok said:
i don't think working on these practice questions with other people would violate academic honesty. if you want my answers, just tell me and i'll email them to you. but i'd rather not keep them up here where any random can get them
could you please send me the answers sarevok...please?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I don't think that's fair. I posted up my answers. This is a help-forum.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I've kinda got 11. I've got the figures required for it. I'm just not sure which ones answer the question as I really don't understand the question.

The prior probability is 0.95 for S (Satisfactory condition of the machine)
The prior " is 0.05 for S' (the unsatisfactory condition of the machine)

The conditional probability of P(D|Si) - probability of a defect conditional on Si:
P(D|S) = 0.02
P(D|S') = 0.15

The joint probability of P(D|Si)P(Si):
P(D|S)P(S) = .019
P(D|S')P(S') = .0075
P(D|S)P(S)+P(D|S')P(S') = 0.0265

The revised probability is:
P(S|D) = 0.72
P(S'D) = 0.28

The answers will be in there somewhere. I just really don't get the Q :p

sarevok

HSC
"I don't think that's fair. I posted up my answers. This is a help-forum."

Yeah, I guess you're right. Answers attached.

For question 11), if you look at the phrasing, it's actually quite similar to the phrasing of 4.34a) in the textbook, in which they applied Bayes' Theorem to find P(H|F), P(M|F) etc. I think the problem with question 11 is that it's just phrased vaguely, I think they just want you to find the probability of the machine being in good condition given that there is a defect and the probability that it is in bad condition given that there is a defect..which I don't think is too difficult to do.

Last edited:

sarevok

HSC
edit: nevermind, this is wrong

Last edited:

s.m.i.t.h

HSC
i still dont know how to do question 11. considering hte mix up with the questions and no one mentioned in our lect of that question 11 was amended (some random from another lec told me) what are the chances of a question like that tom?

04er

HSC
When they say 'based on this new sample information' in 11.b), what information are they exactly referring to!? This is too ambiguous... Are we to assume that the manufacturer only had knowledge of the '95 %' part? Grr it makes me so angry... :chainsaw:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
it's just a bad question. A very bad question. I can't figure what it means and I did ext 2 english.

04er

HSC
I can't believe that even after 'amending' the question, its meaning is still indecipherable.

Rorix

HSC
Guys, the meaning of the question is quite obvious.

What is the new sample information? That we have found a defect.

So, if we have randomly sampled and found a defect, what is the probability that another random sample taken will be a defect?

What changes when we sample and find a defect? P(W) and P(W'), where P(W)= probability of machines working properly.

So, obviously we need to find P(W|D) (or P(W'|D) as they sum to one) and then reapply the method of a) (that is, reapply P(W)*P(D) + P(W')*P(d) with P(W|D) and P(W'|D), where P(d) is the probability of a defect when not working properly)

P(W|D) can either be found using Bayes therom or a contigency table, and is approx 0.716 from memory, making P(W'|D) approx .284. When you put that into the aforementioned probability equation [as P(D) and P(d) remain constant] you get the new probability of defect as .0568 approx.

AGB

HSC
can someone please post up the question sheet?????

i am desperate... i have the test tomorrow and i the questions arent on blackboard anymore...

please help :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)