ECON1101 Prescribed Textbook (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
According to the UNSW Bookshop Text List, the prescribed book for ECON1101 is Microeconomics Updated 4th Edition (McTaggart). Is this version much different to the 4th Edition that people are selling 2nd hand? Or is it best to buy that one new? Also, is it ok to get the combined Micro/Macro book by McTaggart that a lot of people seem to be advertising - it seems more cost-effective, but I'm guessing page references will probably be different, esp. in S2.

Btw. what exactly is "Reading Between the Lines" (which comes with Microeconomics)? Do we need it?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
im from usyd but we used mctaggart in 05

im not sure about the updated 4th edition but i wouldn't recommend buying the fat combination of macro/micro cos u only do one each sem and i've seen more than one of my friends complain about lugging that huge thing around. If u don't mind then i guess the cost effectiveness is a good reason to get it. The page references (from what i saw) were divided into TWO books so it doesnt run on and on.

reading between the lines is a little booklet (or book...can't remember how thick it was) that has articles for each of the chapters and topics for extra reading. It's useful if you're super keen on economics and wanna apply theory to real life developments. The thing is, the textbook itself already includes an article after each main chapter so the extra booklet is just more of that.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
According to the UNSW Bookshop Text List, the prescribed book for ECON1101 is Microeconomics Updated 4th Edition (McTaggart). Is this version much different to the 4th Edition that people are selling 2nd hand? Or is it best to buy that one new? Also, is it ok to get the combined Micro/Macro book by McTaggart that a lot of people seem to be advertising - it seems more cost-effective, but I'm guessing page references will probably be different, esp. in S2.

Btw. what exactly is "Reading Between the Lines" (which comes with Microeconomics)? Do we need it?
I doubt there will be much difference. As a textbook, I really like McTaggart, it is a very good textbook. I would recommend you buy the slightly chunkier version with both micro and macroeconomics, as you can save a lot of money. As for the page references, its no big deal, as a bright young Commerce student it shouldn't take you more than 20 seconds to find the correct chapter related to that week's material. In fact, you will find that the lecturers teach exactly the same sequence as suggested by the textbook.

As for Reading Between the Lines, its a little book with real-life articles and they analyse the economic theory behind it, as Sarah pointed out. Makes for a good read, but not very important for the course itself.

If you are interested, I am selling my McTaggart "Economics" book, (both micro and macro) and if you want Reading Between the Lines, I have it too. PM me if you want to buy it.

Daza

HSC
Hey if we wanna get the new book from the bookstore should we get the one with the study guide or the one with "Reading Between the Lines" ?

HSC
The difference between 3rd and 4th edition afaik was like minor revisions in the "wording" you should read it in the preface; subjects like accounting which totally change may be dangerous too get old editions

wanton-wonton

HSC
I was/am facing the same problem as you. Although, I already bought my 4th Ed micro+macro economics textbook + reading b/w the lines.

However, one thing is certain, that for macroeconomics, we won't be using McTaggart, so he will only be used for microeconomics.

As for the difference between the editions, I haven't yet read the above posts.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
I bought the same as wanton-wonton, but still it's worth it as 2nd hand is cheaper than new and you get macro too, which isn't prescribed but it will help me more if anything.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
I just ended up buying it new to be on the safe side. Hopefully I'll be able to sell it and get around 50% back next year anyway.

Btw. who do you guys have for your 1101 lectures? I have Conlan, who seems to be going through the content quite quickly (at least compared with my friends' 1101 lecutrers)...although I suppose that's a good thing.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
My Econ lecturer said that the old editions are just as good, not much difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)