ECON335 and 350 textbook question (1 Viewer)

Mathmatics85

HSC
Just a quick question for past students who have done ECON335 and 350..I found that there is no set text for the unit, only a several that is recommended by the LIC. and on the unit outline it says for each topic we have to read 1 to 2 chapters from each of those recommended textbooks.

Do you really have to read them all? Isn't lecture material sufficient enough? the structure of those units were almost identical...dunno which one I should go for.

atreus

HSC
There were no set texts for ECON335 or 350 this year because so much has changed or will change in the near future. Instead, the lectures and slides were used as the "text", which made the unit a lot easier. I doubt there will be a good text by next year either (because so much is still yet to be decided) but it may also depend on the Convenor and what they decide to be appropriate.

The recommended texts were there as a source for alternative explanation, if the lectures and lecture slides were insufficient. Sean explains eveyrthing pretty well though, and if you don't get a point on a slide, you could just ask him and he would elaborate. Especially since it was the lectures that were examinable, I doubt there would be much need to go to the recommended sources anyway - i.e. so long as you understand the lectures, there would be no need to go to the alternative texts.

If these two units are run the way they were this year, I would pick both - they were both easy (GPA boosters and good assessment structure) but interesting and really focused on whats happening at the moment.

Last edited:

Mathmatics85

HSC
I think I'll end up doing ECON350, since its offered in the first half and better for my timetable. and why the hell are there so many finance and econ units that are offered only in second half? ACCG352/353,ECON335/360/361,FIN328(new unit, Financial Risk Management, which I'm really interested) and ECON334, all offered only in second half.

I really wanna take all those units but since I'll only have 1 second sem at mq(and graduate)..so I'm sort of pushed to do ECON350 over 335.

Next yr I'm doing...ACCG329/FIN310/ECON350 in first and 352/360/361/328 in second..I think second half will be really tough...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)