econ335 vs econ360 (1 Viewer)

havy

HSC
Hi guys, I'm doing accg+finance double degree, and i'll need to choose between econ335 and econ360 for next semester.

I've already enroled into 335 because some ppl told me that its easier. but then now others mentioned that 360 - international finance is alot more useful and the international finance can provide better opportunities in the finance field.

So can the ppl who have done them plz give me some suggestions and comparisons?
Is 360 really hard or its difficulties have been exaggerated? and how about the stuff you can learn from it, is it really that helpful?

thx in advance.

PS. can i withdraw a 2nd semester unit now and then replace it with another one? what about selective timetables for next semester?

Good_riceZ

Go the Rabbitohs!
HSC
cmon mate you should be able to answer these questions by yourself judging by your knowledge :p

ECON360: 20% assignment and 80% final, 3hr lects no tutes. Not bad if I don't say so meself. Material is useful, and at times hard to digest. That is from my attendance of the first lect :/ though other ppl may have more 'experience'.

havy

HSC
Good_riceZ said:
cmon mate you should be able to answer these questions by yourself judging by your knowledge :p

ECON360: 20% assignment and 80% final, 3hr lects no tutes. Not bad if I don't say so meself. Material is useful, and at times hard to digest. That is from my attendance of the first lect :/ though other ppl may have more 'experience'.

well how much time do u spend studying for 360 each wk? and is it easy to cram? or at least crammable?

dracover

HSC
well some say a good mark in a irrelavent subject is betta then a bad mark in a relevant subject

things to note:

1. actuaries with finance doubles are recommended to do 360 and most do. this increases ur competition and reduces likelihood of good mark.

2. 335 is really easy from wat i've been told though i've also been told 360 isnt a hard subject if u can handle the compeition

havy

HSC
dracover said:
well some say a good mark in a irrelavent subject is betta then a bad mark in a relevant subject

things to note:

1. actuaries with finance doubles are recommended to do 360 and most do. this increases ur competition and reduces likelihood of good mark.

2. 335 is really easy from wat i've been told though i've also been told 360 isnt a hard subject if u can handle the compeition
really good point there.

well i've done accg253, which is part of actuaries course and I still got pretty good mark for it. same with econ200, I did it with some actuaries (although most of them do 201 instead) and got a good mark.

alrite lets just say, how is econ360 compared to accg253? in terms of studyload, difficulty and crammability?

dracover

HSC
havy said:
really good point there.

well i've done accg253, which is part of actuaries course and I still got pretty good mark for it. same with econ200, I did it with some actuaries (although most of them do 201 instead) and got a good mark.

alrite lets just say, how is econ360 compared to accg253? in terms of studyload, difficulty and crammability?

about the same i say

realli if u can do match the actuaries then go for it its all the same

just to note.

1. 253 is offered in both semesters from memory and actuaries all do it in one of them so if ur in the other one....competition = 0 lol

2. econ200 is onli done by actuary/econ double students which is like 10 at most so u cant realli use it as a comparision

if u've done econ 200 and 201 i'm sure u would have noticed how much harder 201 is and yes that is because there is 160 actuaries in 201 compared to 10 in 200 this observation wasnt just noted by me but many of my friends also.

but in the end if u get good marks anyways then it doesnt matter just something to think about

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
I dont think one should fear actuarial students...just do the best you can and competition becomes almost irrelevant imo.

All they do though, is study there asses off...be like them and you'll get their marks :p

havy

HSC
thx for everyone's comments, now I sorta know wats going on.

I really want to get a D or HD out of the unit, so I will need to work alot harder if I choose 360 instead of 335.

I'll do 360 if its really useful, even if there's competition. So the question is whether econ360 is really that useful, or on the other hand, is 335 really that useless?

havy

HSC
I just remembered that I'll probably do econ350 next yr. can 350 substitute360 or at least is similar in terms of the material? if it is then i'll do 350 instead of 360.

Last edited:

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
nah in a general sense, 350 is about domestic financial markets, 360 covers international markets, and 335 is about financial institutions. All three are different.

If you want to work in treasury and foreign exchange I'd think 360 would be more relevant. 350 is designed for those who want to work and deal in securities etc.

Again, the choice becomes irrelevant with post graduate plans, you can cover one aspect of finance here, and make up for the other aspect(s) after uni.

havy

HSC
thx for the advice, i think i'll decide during the july holidays.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
sorry to revive this thread, but some of the comments on this page are pretty... weird :eek:

dont let the fact that actuaries are or are not doing a topic bother you, it really makes no difference. sure actuarial students are smart, but if you asked everyone in year 12 to sit the year 10 maths test, everyone would do well. lots of students would get 100%.

similarly, actuarial subjects are uber hard, no denying that, but the commerce subjects that actuarial students are required to study doesn't make them harder, they're at the common level of "year 10", so to speak. lots of students do just as well. i mean, seriously, m/c theres right or wrong, you just gotta learn, and if its essay writing then, well, who said actuarials are good at essays :p

theres always been a big hype on actuarial studies on bored of studies haha. everyone seems ot be in awe of the degree. i know cause i used to be part of it :p but still, no need to inflat it and scare people saying "this subject is hard cause competition is hard cause actuarial studies people are doing it". wtf? what does competition have to do with how hard a topic is? 10 + 10 = 20, regardless of whether competition is good or bad. some subjects are hard, some easy, but has no relation to whether actuarial people are doing it or not.

in any case, 335 is reaaaally easy. 360 is harder.
253 is harder than 360 imo. and 353 is frickin insane :eek: if you found 253 hard, prolly shouldnt be giving 335 a go. its by far the hardest subject in the commerce side of uni (lecturer actually said so in first lecture)

and 335 is a joke, its easier than first year subjects. exam is given to you before you sit it, basically (every year exam is same just about, and you get past years paper). 11 topics, 9 essay questions, pick 3 and write. so basically you have to learn a max of 5 topics, but you can easily just learn 3. cram'able to the max hehe

edit:
rofl, dont ask how i stumbled across this thread :p frickin grave digging mwahaha

Last edited:

havy

HSC
Grey Council said:
if you found 253 hard, prolly shouldnt be giving 335 a go. its by far the hardest subject in the commerce side of uni (lecturer actually said so in first lecture)
u meant accg353 is the hardest subject? wat about acccg329, 352, 350 or acst300?
actually econ360 is no longer an issue - i'll do it next yr anyway. but news issues come up, i'll need to choose between accg352 and 353, can anyone advice?

Last edited:

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
guys 335 is the most piss easy unit you will do in your life. The lecturer is awesome, and tells you everything you need to know. You can study the subject within hours before the exam.

350 is next in difficult, not so easy but still relatively straight forward and enjoyable.

360 is the hardest, hence why I didnt choose it.

253 is hard. 353 would be much harder. I heard ACCG329 was a bit of a bitch, 352 being a bit more doable apparently.

ACST300 - insurance and super, apparently not that bad, boring, lots of reading...ask the actuaries they have to do it.

I think Im in your situation Havy, but you're slightly ahead. Im doing 329 in first sem next year, and 352 the subsequent. I am not touching 353.

ACCG350 - Financial Statement Analysis - looks like an interesting and useful subject.

havy

HSC
well I realized that we need accg352 and econ360 in order to gain ps146 compliance (no body told us about it!), so i'll probably do 352 instead of 353.

I just want to know wat do ppl comment about 352 in terms of difficulty and workload?

ps. actually its probably better if i open a new thread about it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)