Economic Driving (1 Viewer)

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Serius said:
Lawl. Cause i dont have a tacho........t i dont want to risk breaking shit.
lol risk should be taken, so you can get yew something with a tacho, and report back to our incredible researches.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Schoolies_2004 said:
Lol I remember reading about this, I find it hard to believe it does anything... the RPM stays exactly the same in neutral or drive so how can it be using less fuel!?!?
Hmm... good point. *shrugs* I know it also has an effect on reducing wear on the brakes (my uncle told me that) but it probably is such an insignificant amount... anyone else shed any light on this?

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
Serius said:
Lawl. Cause i dont have a tacho, the highest ive taken 2nd is 70, it was getting loud then so i got scared. I could maybe take it to 80, but i dont want to risk breaking shit.

once u start valve bouncing, change gear

Zozo6969

HSC
my car doesnt valve bounce always, did in first gear once, but in second i redlined it and it fuel cut at like 7300. wierd.

FromDeeEast

HSC
i drive at about 4k/5k average per gear but when i am crusing i just keep into 4th/5th

i drive a silvia lol so my redline is at 7.5 :)

breed obsession
A wine-soaked strobe-lit Asiatic hall of mirrors
HSC
seremify007 said:
Hmm... good point. *shrugs* I know it also has an effect on reducing wear on the brakes (my uncle told me that) but it probably is such an insignificant amount... anyone else shed any light on this?
Only put it into neutral at the lights if you keep on the brakes, that way if someone flies into the back of you there's no chance you'll get launched into the middle of the intersection. You would be keeping your brakes a little better because even though you're still braking, there's (on flat ground) nothing making the wheels move, ergo no friction on the brakes.
I learned on a manual and ended up owning an auto (which I don't really regret, I end up in stop start traffic at least once a day). The only fuel economy stuff I do is not hooning and avoiding vtec. Occasionaly drive with the "Sports Shift" button pressed, even though I have no idea wtf it does.

Jiga

^

Im not extremely knowledgable about auto transmission, but googling, here are some things ive read;

"What hasnt been said is that leaving the auto in drive actually saves fuel. The strain on the engine slows it ! Fuel usage is related to RPM's and so going slower means it sucks less air, and than mean less fuel. When its in drive, the wear on the transmission is the minimal amount of the fluid flowing around the blades of the torque converter. Changing into drive so many more times each day would cause accelerated wear on the auto's friction material"

"there is little or no strain upon the engine or drivetrain maintaining an idle gear speed due to the ability of torque converters to literally soak up 'engine torque' at revolutions up to 1200 rpm or more."

Personally I just think logically it would cause more damage constantly changing from neutral to drive and back... when the car is afterall designed to be fully automated (no car manual states to put it in to neutral as far as I know). And realistically if there were benefits from being in neutral such as fuel efficiency you would think manufacturers would have looked into this and somehow made the trans do it itself... but they havent, I think this says alot.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
kols_kebabs said:
They void the warranty for reaching the cars max speed? I can't believe it.
I couldn't give a flying fuck about the warranty, it's the beating im gonna get from my dad for doing 180. And I hit 180 before i knew they could do that.

Jiga

Yeah the source was just some forum.... the other quote seemed more credible becuase for sure, under load even though the RPMs might be the same Id assume the car is running richer. Although I will say I noticed in my car at least in Neutral the RPMs do go up slightly, so I can understand why he came to that conclusion.

But yeah for me the biggest nail in the coffin is that manufacturers havent explored this, they are looking for competitive advantages in terms of fuel consumption these days with more gears etc if this idea did work Im sure they could make it so the car goes into neutral at a stop given that they now have twin clutch tranmissions etc these days. This would be a good one for the Myth Busters.

Zozo6969

HSC
Azamakumar said:
I couldn't give a flying fuck about the warranty, it's the beating im gonna get from my dad for doing 180. And I hit 180 before i knew they could do that.
how do they know u hit the limiter? is there some kind of logging shit in ur car?

Schoolies_2004 said:
uel usage is related to RPM's and so going slower means it sucks less air, and than mean less fuel.
not entirely. it also depends on the throttle percentage used and other things ie. air con etc. also, when in drive, the torque converter is spinning for no reason and is loaded up against the brakes, which isnt that good for it. some new cars actually shift into neutral automatically for u, but only if they have an electronic throttle and some other shit. with most new autos, when you move the automatic gear lever, you arent actually moving anything, ur just telling the computer that controls everything to do a different task. for all they wanted to, the manufacturers could just put buttons there instead, it wouldnt really make a difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)