Economic Growth (1 Viewer)

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
"Examine and account for Australia's present growth rate."

I gotta answer this dum question, where's abouts do you reckon this sorta stuff is answered?

Any other ideas? My teacher is staying away from the whole topic so as to let us suffer ...

Ac

ShirLz

i'm pretty sure its in the 2002-03 Fed. Budget...so is its the accountability part

as in type of fiscal policy, monetary policy, impact on econ. activity, impact. on AD, impact on EG...

in most instances, the exam will provide stimulus material, but just look over the fed. budget to be on safe side - most essay questions on topic 3 n 4 w/ stimulus would require reference to this....

basically, i'd say look at what things n aspects would affect the growth rate, find egs. of it in the aust. economy n just babble on :D

HSC
personally, i reckon that's a pretty gay question which would never appear in the hsc.

ShirLz

same...but u gotta remember that you're talkin bout the board of stupidity here - idiotic questions are part of their mission statement..however, i doubt that they'd expect you to remember exact statistics n figures for each question..we're yr 12 economic students, not gods n godesses...but econ. growth would have to b one of the basic ones - as long as u know aust. has been enjoyin high levels of sustained EG n the impact of this on the economy, socially, internationally n economically, it will all b kool - i hope anywayz

B

Bambul

Originally posted by ShirLz
...i doubt that they'd expect you to remember exact statistics n figures for each question..we're yr 12 economic students, not gods n godesses...
Actually, you will be expected to know a few main statistics. If you know economic growth (3.8%), unemployment (6.2%), inflation (3.2%) and the budget surplus ($2.1bn) then that should be enough (IMO).

=(

unemployment down to 6% - i saw it on the news.
wasnt the ol' budget in the red to the tune of 1.2bn?

howard wants to pass new unfair dismissal laws :p

Last edited:
B

Bambul

Originally posted by =(
unemployment down to 6% - i saw it on the news.
wasnt the ol' budget in the red to the tune of 1.2bn?

howard wants to pass new unfair dismissal laws :p
Yes, unemployment statistics were released for October a few days after my post. The 2001/02 budget had a cash deficit of $2.1bn, the 2002/03 (ie. the current one) has a forecasted cash surplus of $2.1bn.

And the "Fair Dismissal" laws are part of the Howard government's continued deregulation of the labour market and it's micro-economic reforms. You don't really need to know how it works, just know that the government wants to continue with labour market deregulation and decentralisation.

B

Bambul

Looks like MYEFO says that the cash surplus hasn't changed, still $2.1bn. But take a look at the fiscal surplus, which takes into account when a transaction occurs (ie. when the good/service is provided) and not merely the cash transaction (which can be easily changed by a treasurer by shifting spending from June to July or vice versa, thus boosting this years surplus at the expense of last or next years - which few people care about) and you'll find quite a surprise.

Ignoring the fact that it has again slipped into deficit for the second year in a row, it has fallen by $700m. With a slowing economy I find it hard to believe that the government could maintain it's surplus at the same amount without either cutting spending, increasing taxes or boosting the surplus through timing differences which would increase the cash surplus, but not the fiscal.

The government is also predicting a rapid recovery in the global economy. While I don't see this comming, it is debatable on both sides and I will allow their prediction of rising exports leading to higher tax revenue to go theough with little argument on my part.

I'm done with my rant on the budget. Oh, and the current government *is* the highest taxing government on record, but they use fuzzy accounting to try to cover it up. If anyone wants me to, I'll make a post to show you why.

Other than that, I rekon the current government has been doing an adequate job! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)