Economic or Commerce?? (1 Viewer)

chunder

HSC
I know this is not the question to ask when everybody is freaking out about their externals but......is it more worthwhile studying economics or commerce at uni ??? Commerce seems to be more practical whilst economics is more theoretical. Is a degree based on theory still worth anything in a world that is increasingly unpredictable and a workplace that places increasing emphasis on "human qualities" rather than knowledge?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm
Both degrees are practical..economics is probably even more practical than some commerce majors, because wen u graduate from economics, u are automatically a professional economist, since u wouldve undertaken substantial subjects in econometrics (basically using statistics and mathematics to predict and make inferences on economic conditions etc). The economics u learn at uni is much more detailed and mechanical than all that theory u learn in the HSC

I'm transferring to commerce and doing accounting, coz im finding economics way to hard to do for the rest of my life :D

chunder

HSC
Originally posted by Minai
Hmm
Both degrees are practical..economics is probably even more practical than some commerce majors, because wen u graduate from economics, u are automatically a professional economist
so are you saying doing a commerce degree is in reality "pointless" (probably not the right word to use) as you're not really qualified as anything upon completion....

timmii

sporadic attendee
Not at all. Its just a case of there being "professional bodies" for accountants (e.g ICAA, CPA) which you need to join/accepted by after completing particular course programs. Or if you want to work in finance you join the FIAA (I think?) etc etc.

The commerce degree allows you to be qualified in more "commercial fields" but in this highly regulated age, you still often need to undertake another year of study or a short program to be accredited. Kind of like the bar exams in the movie "the firm"...? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)