Economics Articles (1 Viewer)

Bennett88

Club Sandwiches not Seals
HSC
Our term 3 assessment consists of gathering 18 articles commenting on recent economic issues and writing our own 300 word commentary on each article. Is this consistent with many other schools?

Anyway, we have to submit 6 articles pretty soon to prove that we're on top of things. Ross Gittins is great, I grabbed a couple from BRW, but otherwise I'm struggling to come up with the goods.

Where else should I be looking?

minushuman

tafe pride
HSC
Ross Gittons is a shit economist, he oversimplifies everything and often misses the big picture. Students like you are just told he's good and accept it. God some people are dumb.

Anywho, i'll actually offer you some decent advice.

Go to the SMH site and search for articles with relevant terms in them, it will say that you need to pay to view them. Just take the title of the article and put in google.

Instant free all-access-paid subscription to SMH online.

Bennett88

HSC
The financial review is a bit of a tightarse when it comes providing free material, same with the economist.

I've only glanced at the dfat articles, but they seem a tad biased (understandably).

The rba website on the other hand is a blessing, thank you very much :)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Without Wings said:
There's nothing wrong with choosing an article you feel is biased (unless your teacher has particularly stated not too) - this can provide a good point of discussion within your assessment. I'm sure your teacher would approve of getting different views on one issue, if you aren't sure, ask them.
You really cant go past the Financial Review as a source of economic articles and discussion. Ive read the AFR daily for the last few years, and there is always a bountiful supply of articles that would be useful.
Does your school have a subscription to the AFR/fairfax websites? I thought most schools did, that would allow you to access articles for free.

As for the issue of bias etc, i would in fact encourage you select a few articles that are slightly controversial (not all of course). This will allow you to demonstrate the full breadth of your knowledge as you examine and present the alternative views or reasonings behind the issue in your commentary. As WW says it would be a could point for discussion. Its good to have a look at a number of articles on the same subject but written in slightly different contexts, or that propose different explanations or viewpoints. That could help you as you write your commentaries later in the year.

Basically dont confine yourself to just collecting 18 articles. Go further, so you have a greater selection when it comes time to do your assignment. And they will come in handy in getting the edge you need as you study. (After you learn the theory, you can see how it applies to real life economic situations)

gnrlies

HSC
minushuman said:
Ross Gittons is a shit economist, he oversimplifies everything and often misses the big picture. Students like you are just told he's good and accept it. God some people are dumb.

Anywho, i'll actually offer you some decent advice.

Go to the SMH site and search for articles with relevant terms in them, it will say that you need to pay to view them. Just take the title of the article and put in google.

Instant free all-access-paid subscription to SMH online.
Thats the most ignorant thing ive ever read.

Firstly who are you to deem him an awful economist who oversimplifies and misses the biggest picture? Some points I would make about him and his line of work:

1 - He is an economics editor at a newspaper. His job is to write about the economy in a way that people can understand. He dumbs it down. Simplification is his job.

2 - He normally writes under the context of "Opinion". What he is writing is designed to encourage people to think about things. Hes not writing an economics bible. He provides evidence to support an opinion, and whether you agree with what he is saying or not, his work is not aimed at looking at the "whole picture" as you put it, but rather those points relevant to the nature of the article.

3 - He does other work other than write newspaper articles. He regularly contributes to academic journals, as well as working as an economist.

4 - Pull your head in

Last edited:

gnrlies

HSC
Bennett88 said:
Our term 3 assessment consists of gathering 18 articles commenting on recent economic issues and writing our own 300 word commentary on each article. Is this consistent with many other schools?

Anyway, we have to submit 6 articles pretty soon to prove that we're on top of things. Ross Gittins is great, I grabbed a couple from BRW, but otherwise I'm struggling to come up with the goods.

Where else should I be looking?
Sounds like an ugly assignment.

This is how I would go about it:

1 - I would pick the "recent economic issue" before the article. There will be plenty of articles to find which will be relevant to the issue, and you have a fair amount of time.

2 - Economic Issues is an actual topic in the HSC syllabus. You would serve yourself well by trying to use these economic issues when looking at the issues you are going to pick. The economic issues in the syllabus are:
-Economic Growth
-Unemployment
-Inflation
-External Stability
-Distribution of income and wealth
-Environmental Management

3 - You could also thematise them around the final topic which includes government policy (ideally the economic issues and policy would interrelate with one another. I.e. what policy options can solve the economic issues). So articles which look at australian economic policy are great because you can examine the policy, and then look at how it solves a particular economic issue. Different policies are:
- Fiscal Policy
- Monetary Policy
- Structural Change
- Trade Policy
- Prices and Incomes policy
- Labour Market Policies

4 - Some issues off the top of my head (take these issues and then search for articles relevant to the issue)

* IR Reform - Should be plenty of articles around. Look at the rationale of the IR reforms and how they attack the issues of unemployment and economic growth. A perfect policy relevant to labour market policy
* Sale of Telstra / Fiscal Policy - This comes very relevant in terms of our national debt and the implications on fiscal policy. Look a little bit more to the future as to why the government may be doing this (think ageing polulation, as well as more passive fiscal policy with a conservative government).
* Interest Rates - Theres talk of another rate rise. There will be plenty of articles which deal with the reasons for a rate rise. For bonus marks tie this in with the CAD (depending on the figures out this week). Of course there are macro considerations on inflation, employment and economic growth also (but these are a bit more standard).
* External Stability - Keep your eyes out for some CAD figures and assosciated articles due this week.

Those are probably the main economic issues going on, but of course there will be many more than pop up, and others that ive simply missed.

Bennett88

HSC
Without Wings said:
There's nothing wrong with choosing an article you feel is biased (unless your teacher has particularly stated not too) - this can provide a good point of discussion within your assessment. I'm sure your teacher would approve of getting different views on one issue, if you aren't sure, ask them.
I obviously wrote that without thinking.

I can see a big upside of commenting on a biased article :)

gnrlies said:
Sounds like an ugly assignment.
It's going alright so far actually. Thanks a million for your troubles, it shows that you really know your syllabus inside out ;)

Same goes with WW and Rafy. I've never really thought too much of this forum as a learning aid, but your thoughtfulness is testimony of otherwise. Greatly appreciated :)

Demandred

HSC
Go for the Economist - one of the most established economic magazines ever, it has been around for 150 years.

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
Sounds like the assignment i had to do...
Ross Gittins is good, whether he's a good economist or not i won't argue cos i'm no economist, but i liked to quote from him for my hsc exams, and i got the marks i was after so i guess it worked ;)

For an assignment like this, what i found was useful was to find articles that i actually found helpful to use bits of in essays... so even if u just pull stats out or something that might make it worthwhile... apart from that, it's a good exercise in forcing u to look for articles, i didn't find it that helpful to me... sidenote: 300 words is ridiculous, u might as well write ur own article >.<

I found the economist useful, u can try ur local library.. other than that i guess i do'nt have that much advice. I also tried googling topics that i wanted articles in, but that can be more annoying than anything at times. I hated this assignment, btw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)