• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Economics at Uni (2 Viewers)

NizDiz

HSC
What is Economics at Uni like? Who would suit economics (what your good/ strengths)?

crazy_paki123

HSC
I havent completed an economics subject yet. Im doing Microeconomics atm and did HSC Eco at school, and find it really easy. Its basically revision with some new stuff added in SO FAR! Although, I cant comment on Economics as a degree or other economics subs.

Jinks

HSC
wat advantage does hsc economics make?
So far i've found VCE economics to be a pretty solid advantage for first year economic subjects at university but thats only for the first maybe 3/4 weeks, after that the content is generally new.

crazy_paki123

HSC
for 1st year eco subs its a pretty big advantage. I did HSC eco, and find the eco subs pretty straightforward atm, but my friend didnt do hsc eco and finds it very difficult and hes got an average of 80 in the 1st sem which is solid

Meshy590

HSC
I'm doing an eco degree, didn't do Eco for HSC, and I found 1st year subjects really easy. Can't say the same for 2nd year subjects though...

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Did first sem eco with no prior knowledge to eco and did pretty well (HD). The unis generally structure the course assuming you know nothing anyway, so I guess if you did HSC eco it's just a rehash for the first few weeks.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Economics is pretty intuitive , you don't need prior knowledge to do an Eco degree at uni.

RishBonjour

HSC
Did first sem eco with no prior knowledge to eco and did pretty well (HD). The unis generally structure the course assuming you know nothing anyway, so I guess if you did HSC eco it's just a rehash for the first few weeks.

Pretty much, after that there will be new content. You won't be disadvantaged, but people who did well in HSC eco will probably get the same mark with a little less effort because some of the content is repeated (For macro). Micro was completely different and new (except a bit of 2u maths - some people didn't do maths at all but got Cr/Ds). They start all courses assuming you know nothing, so you should definitely give it a go!

As for who should do it, anyone! Give it a try, go in with a positive attitude - you will love it (still my most enjoyed subject - you understand things happening around you much better!).

I'm doing an eco degree, didn't do Eco for HSC, and I found 1st year subjects really easy. Can't say the same for 2nd year subjects though...
Ask this guy if you have any questions about eco - economics beast (dat wam ave)

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I found eco really easy in the first few weeks of sem 1 and 2 where it's just macro/micro rehashed from HSC but then suddenly it becomes a lot more quantitative rather than qualitative focused. This may make it easier or harder for you depending on your own interests but for me, I actually lost interest in it (whereas originally I was considering double degree in Comm/Eco!)

NizDiz

HSC
does hsc economics become useful in like 2nd year and after that or no?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I found eco really easy in the first few weeks of sem 1 and 2 where it's just macro/micro rehashed from HSC but then suddenly it becomes a lot more quantitative rather than qualitative focused. This may make it easier or harder for you depending on your own interests but for me, I actually lost interest in it (whereas originally I was considering double degree in Comm/Eco!)
I would've assumed you would like it more seeing as you did ext1?

does hsc economics become useful in like 2nd year and after that or no?
Unlikely, if people are saying it is useful only for the first few weeks, i think it becomes way too advanced for hsc eco to be helpful.

NizDiz

HSC
ahaha lol Rishbonjour, silly i know, just wanted clarification haha

NizDiz

HSC
also can u get a bank/finance job with an economics degree?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes. Of course you can. You don't even need a degree to get into a bank/finance job

NizDiz

HSC
like even working as a banker, investments, derivatives etc., can a economics degree help?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)