• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Economics at Uni (1 Viewer)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd also like to mention that there is an expectation that economics students are comfortable with mathematical terminology and are adept at using mathematical methodologies as that is the crux of this particular field. As seremify pointed out, economics is taught in a quantitative manner which is a far cry from high school economics. You'll find yourself using much more maths and graphs compared to high school.

I've seen a lot of students drop out of economics because of this perception that economics is taught in a similar way as high school and thus fell down because they couldn't cope with how theoretical the degrees are. That being said, the maths isn't too difficult and generally doesn't go beyond 4U/first year uni maths. Even in these instances, you're not expected to prove the theorems used but you're expected to know how to use them as a tool.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think fundamentals should be the same but the teaching style/execution/focus will vary depending on specific subject selections and individual lecturers.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
seremify007 said:
I think fundamentals should be the same but the teaching style/execution/focus will vary depending on specific subject selections and individual lecturers.
this

NizDiz said:
like even working as a banker, investments, derivatives etc., can a economics degree help?
ideal but not required.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)