Economics at UNSW (1 Viewer)

Lachyy

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Hi all,
I'm tossing between universities to do economics at but would really like to go UNSW. Does anyone do this course and is able to give me feedback on what it's like. My other option of Macquarie which is supposed to be known for their good reputation at business subjects so I'm just wandering if anybody is able to help me decide.

Randox

HSC
N/A
Can you get into comm at unsw with your atar? If not I would say go with Eco unsw. This is just based on what my friends have told me. I was told the Eco course is similar to commerce for the first year at least.

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
go comm unsw, you still learn a bit about economics. micro/macro. or you can double it up with economics major in finance for comm and get into fields like IB

Lachyy

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Can you get into comm at unsw with your atar? If not I would say go with Eco unsw. This is just based on what my friends have told me. I was told the Eco course is similar to commerce for the first year at least.
I got 95.05 plus I can get four bonus points if I do comm/eco, so pretty much sitting on a 99.05. But with that said, I heard somewhere that those who got 96 raw (cutoff) still take priority over my atar with bonus points

Randox

HSC
N/A
I got 95.05 plus I can get four bonus points if I do comm/eco, so pretty much sitting on a 99.05. But with that said, I heard somewhere that those who got 96 raw (cutoff) still take priority over my atar with bonus points
Nope your atar will appear as 99.05 when applying for commerce at unsw. You are guaranteed to get in if you went for it. I got an atar of 93.25 and have 5 bonus points and was told that I should get into comm unsw. I was thinking of doing an Eco/comm degree but ultimately decided to just do straight comm as the subjects between the two are quite similar and I would be wasting two years.

Lachyy

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Nope your atar will appear as 99.05 when applying for commerce at unsw. You are guaranteed to get in if you went for it. I got an atar of 93.25 and have 5 bonus points and was told that I should get into comm unsw. I was thinking of doing an Eco/comm degree but ultimately decided to just do straight comm as the subjects between the two are quite similar and I would be wasting two years.
So what are the benefits of doing commerce over economics, because I actually really like economics?

Randox

HSC
N/A
So what are the benefits of doing commerce over economics, because I actually really like economics?
Well a lot of the economics subjects (that are similar to year 12 Eco) In first year economics are also compulsory in commerce. Conmerce as a whole is a more prestigious degree (not only because of the higher cut off). Additionally, the commerce course is more flexible from what I hear and opens up a broader range of job opportunities. Year 12 Eco was my favorite subject so I think I was in your frame of mind as well but after talking to a few people they told me to go with commerce if I enjoyed Eco HSC. Anyway if you still want to do Eco you could do a comm/Eco degree :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)