ECONOMICS: course structure in different unis. (1 Viewer)

xsjado

HSC
How do the course structures differ in ANU, USyd, UNSW and MQ?
Are some more maths based and do some focus more on different areas such as public economics and economic history?

thanks.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I've only done a major in Econ at Usyd but having looked at degree structures at UNSW and ANU, they appear to be similar since econ majors are structures as following:

Intro Micro
Intro Macro

Inter Micro
Inter Macro

...and a bunch of electives of your choosing. So the electives you choose will shape your major. It's not set out for you.

xsjado

HSC
thanks guys, anyone else have anything they want to add?

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
ANU is very math based. its also apparently has the best economics program in Australia. oh and you can only do an Economics degree at ANU not a major.

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
if u do a bachelor of economics at unsw or mq (if its available there), can you also major in accounting?
thnx

DefenceMinister

HSC
@ xsjado:

I am looking for the same answer. What makes it hard is that most university's don't provide the actual unit outlines. We have to make assumptions based on the unit name and description.

I think what will make one university program more math based then the others will be in its core subjects.

So this is how I have broken it down.

USYD:

ECMT1010 Business and Economic Statistics A
ECMT1020 Business and Economic Statistics B
ECON1001 Introductory Microeconomics
ECON1002 Introductory Macroeconomics
ECOS2001 Intermediate Microeconomics
ECOS2002 Intermediate Macroeconomics

From reading the unit description it seems Stats A and B is math based but apparently its not very hard. According to a friend, its not very hard. He said it was like HSC 2 unit level maths with matrices. If anyone here has done Stats A or B can you please comment or better yet post the unit outline.

You then chose 4 electives from a selection of units that have plenty of non math based subjects.

http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au/major/51

UNSW:

ACCT1501 Accounting and Financial Management 1A
ACCT1511 Accounting and Financial Management 1B
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1
ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1
ECON1202 Quantitative Methods A
ECON1203 Quantitative Methods B

Quantitative Methods A and B are the two maths subjects, not sure how hard they are. I will see if I can get some friends at UNSW to give me the unit outline.

You then must to choose 8 more subjects for a major in either Economics, Econometrics, Economics and Econometrics, Economic History or Financial Economics.

http://www.fce.unsw.edu.au/nps/serv...oggedOutInheritableArea&maxWnd=_Future_UG_BEc

ANU:

ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1 or ECON1100 Economics 1 (H)
ECON2101/[2111|ECON2111] Microeconomics 2 [(P) or (H)]
ECON2102/[2112|ECON2112] Macroeconomics 2 [(P) or (H)]
ECON3101 Microeconomics 3
ECON3102 Macroeconomics 3
EMET1001 Foundations of Economic and Financial Models
STAT1008 Quantitative Research Methods
EMET2007 Econometric Methods
Courses from Schedule 2 to a total value of at least 18 units

EMET1001 is the maths subject, with Quantitative and Econometric methods looking like they could be math based.

http://studyat.anu.edu.au/programs/3200XBECON;requirements.html

So far to me it looks like USYD is the most flexible program and it seems to be fairly light on maths. ANU has more compulsory subjects but only 1 is math, and the other 2 could be math based. Can anyone from ANU comment on this?

@ Ralph: Why do you think ANU economics program is the best and why do you think its heavily maths based?

billbro

HSC
N/A
DefenceMinister said:
UNSW:

ACCT1501 Accounting and Financial Management 1A
ACCT1511 Accounting and Financial Management 1B
ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1
ECON1202 Quantitative Methods A
ECON1203 Quantitative Methods B

Quantitative Methods A and B are the two maths subjects, not sure how hard they are. I will see if I can get some friends at UNSW to give me the unit outline.

You then must to choose 8 more subjects for a major in either Economics, Econometrics, Economics and Econometrics, Economic History or Financial Economics.
I don't think you are looking at it in the proper manner for UNSW, the courses you have listed are simply the core courses that would be similar to most universities. QMA and QMB were probably my worst subjects thus far, wouldn't say they were particularly hard though.

Anyway for the course structure for a Double Major with Economics you would be looking at this link:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2009/ECONAD3543.html

Economics:
Plan Structure

Required Courses
Note- students must have completed the first year core requirements.

* ECON2101 Microeconomics 2 (6 UOC)
* ECON2102 Macroeconomics 2 (6 UOC)
* ECON2206 Introductory Econometrics (6 UOC)
* ECON2207 Econometric Methods (6 UOC)

Options

Options may be selected from List A or List B, although the following requirements apply:
Refer to the link.

Not sure if you would consider the UNSW course heavily maths orientated, but you do have to do two Econometrics/Statistics courses regardless of whether you intend to major in it.

Last edited:

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
DefenceMinister said:
@ xsjado:

ANU:

ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1 or ECON1100 Economics 1 (H)
ECON2101/[2111|ECON2111] Microeconomics 2 [(P) or (H)]
ECON2102/[2112|ECON2112] Macroeconomics 2 [(P) or (H)]
ECON3101 Microeconomics 3
ECON3102 Macroeconomics 3
EMET1001 Foundations of Economic and Financial Models
STAT1008 Quantitative Research Methods
EMET2007 Econometric Methods
Courses from Schedule 2 to a total value of at least 18 units

EMET1001 is the maths subject, with Quantitative and Econometric methods looking like they could be math based.

http://studyat.anu.edu.au/programs/3200XBECON;requirements.html

@ Ralph: Why do you think ANU economics program is the best and why do you think its heavily maths based?
EMET2007 is an Econometric course which is fairly well rounded. Which is Math + Statistics +Economics

EMET1001: Mathematical/ Mathematical Modeling course has a high failure rate, but most get through with a Pass by supplementary.

STAT1008 is an Introduction to statistics

If you want to qualify for Honours there is like 5 more subjects you have to do which are really tough MATH for ECONOMISTS A , MATH FOR ECONOMISTS B, ECON3, with a D International Economics with a D. Plus you need to get atl east a D in MACRO and MICRO 3.

Its tough, very tough and you need a lot of stamina to do this.

Why ANU is the best? anything i say you will argue with me about.

But to point you in the right direction its because its advance economics, just look at all the math you have to do, and look at all the great minds and the math they needed to apply to economics to come up with their theories.

Also we have/had some great minds here at ANU:
-the head of the economics faculty has his model being used for the future carbon trading scheme
-Robert Solow (The very famous Solow-Swan model) used to be head of ANU Economics
-In the recent past ANU was 2nd in econometrics in the world (anyone also heard of a chow test?- Jeffery Chow from ANU)

By the way don't let the UAI for entry to ANU economics fool you,most pple who have got below high 80's change course after the first year.The low UAI is a result of the government putting terms and conditions on ANU's extra funding i.e increase the amount of places.

Also You have to do about 2 economic history subjects, history of economic thought,poverty and famine, and the Australian Economy are the main ones ppl do.

Last edited:

S.T.P

HSC
^thanks for the info, do you think i will have the maths skills needed from doing mathematics in the HSC?

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
As long as you tell yourself your not here to have only fun, and put your head down, you will be fine.

billbro

HSC
N/A
Ralph said:
Why ANU is the best? anything i say you will argue with me about.

But to point you in the right direction its because its advance economics, just look at all the math you have to do, and look at all the great minds and the math they needed to apply to economics to come up with their theories.
Wouldn't you want to be looking at a Econometric course if you wanted a lot of maths as opposed to an economic course? I don't really know much about ANU, but they do have arguably the best global recognition out of the G8.

Econometrics:
Plan Structure

Required Courses
Note- students must have completed the first year core requirements.

* ECON2101 Microeconomics 2 (6 UOC)
* ECON2102 Macroeconomics 2 (6 UOC)
* ECON2206 Introductory Econometrics (6 UOC)
* ECON2207 Econometric Methods (6 UOC)
* ECON2215 Statistics for Econometrics (6 UOC)
* ECON3203 Econometric Theory (6 UOC)

Options (select 2 from the list below)

* ECON2208 Intro to Decision Science (6 UOC)
* ECON2209 Business Forecasting (6 UOC)
* ECON3206 Financial Econometrics (6 UOC)

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2009/ECONCD3543.html

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
billbro said:
Wouldn't you want to be looking at a Econometric course if you wanted a lot of maths as opposed to an economic course?
Nope, Econometrics is applied statistics+math+some Economic Theory. So its not really that much actual math.

ANU offers a mathematical Economics major if you want to do a lot more math (as if the math content is not high enough in the core courses at ANU!).

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i do economics at unsw....

i think at the end of the day...its where you want to do your degree, closer to home or move away from home...

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
wrong_turn said:
i do economics at unsw....

i think at the end of the day...its where you want to do your degree, closer to home or move away from home...

True. But you do gain a lot from moving away from home, and its not just degree related.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
ralph i just dont think that a degree will differentiate you from any of the other major unis in australia. especially the go8 unis.

at the end of the day, despite all the reasons of honour and glory, recognition and fame for oneself, they just want to be happy. this is regardless of whether the degree is better at one of the top unis. not many employers will discriminate on the basis that you went to unsw, usyd or anu. each are almost as good as each other.

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
Hey I'm not arguing with you :). But if you want the best economics degree, if you care (because your employers don't) come to ANU.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
my bad LOL so tired from lack of sleep. im trying to get accepted into an internship as the next panda at taronga since pandas are so rare these days...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)