Economics Degree (1 Viewer)

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
How hard is it and What math is use in 1,2 and 3rd year??

Might transfer next year for Econ and Law combine degreee..

Is there a free bridging math course in UNSW? or it just USYD exclusive uni?

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Im doing engineering/ econ and there is pretty much no maths first year for econ.
From what I have heard, in 2nd and 3rd year you can normally choose how much maths you want to take on. You can get away with avoiding econometrics and focus more on economic history for example.
Ultimately, yes you can do an econ degree with little maths or you can do an econ degree with loads of maths.

Last edited:

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
Ahh ok, well im doing Bas of Business at UTS and did intro to micro and macro and find it pretty simple...

kinda scare about the advance econ because my math suck soo hard :(

Simo91

HSC
I'm doing comm/eco first year at new south. As shuttle said, you can focus more on the history and effects of certain economic conditions etc or you can head down the financial economics/econometrics path.

I'm doing statistics this sem and I've actually found it bareable, and will be doing quant. analysis next sem..but this is coming from someone who didn't do 2/3/4u maths and is coping alright. so it's not too tough, you will be fine..

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
I'm doing comm/eco first year at new south. As shuttle said, you can focus more on the history and effects of certain economic conditions etc or you can head down the financial economics/econometrics path.

I'm doing statistics this sem and I've actually found it bareable, and will be doing quant. analysis next sem..but this is coming from someone who didn't do 2/3/4u maths and is coping alright. so it's not too tough, you will be fine..
Ahh ok thank... if you can do it, then i can :D

FreeWorld

HSC

you did general maths and finding commerce/eco bearable? you must be working your arse off for the maths sections?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
How hard is it and What math is use in 1,2 and 3rd year??

Might transfer next year for Econ and Law combine degreee..

Is there a free bridging math course in UNSW? or it just USYD exclusive uni?
Depends on your major. If you're planning on doing something like econometrics or financial economics, then expect a lot of statistics to keep you busy.

If not, then it'll just be a lot of graphs and economic essays/extended responses.

1st year is standard micro/macro/statistics/calculus + financial maths
2nd year depends on your major but you'll probably be doing micro 2 and/or macro 2 regardless. 2nd year electives range from easy to a pain in the ass.
3rd year eco courses are all mostly time-consuming and/or difficult. But by this stage, you shouldn't be surprised.

you did general maths and finding commerce/eco bearable? you must be working your arse off for the maths sections?
I did gen maths and struggled first year. But it ultimately didn't stop me from completing my financial economics major. Statistics is something that is mostly taught at university and it's different in nature to your usual financial maths and calculus that were covered in high school.

Simo91

HSC
I'm only doing stats this semester, which is more applying formulas than doing any considerable maths. But i'm fully expecting to be working my arse off next sem when i take quant. analysis which is full of maths..

Simo91

HSC
Depends on your major. If you're planning on doing something like econometrics or financial economics, then expect a lot of statistics to keep you busy.

If not, then it'll just be a lot of graphs and economic essays/extended responses.

1st year is standard micro/macro/statistics/calculus + financial maths
2nd year depends on your major but you'll probably be doing micro 2 and/or macro 2 regardless. 2nd year electives range from easy to a pain in the ass.
3rd year eco courses are all mostly time-consuming and/or difficult. But by this stage, you shouldn't be surprised.

I did gen maths and struggled first year. But it ultimately didn't stop me from completing my financial economics major. Statistics is something that is mostly taught at university and it's different in nature to your usual financial maths and calculus that were covered in high school.
I am planning on doing financial economics as my eco major so this is a good post for me to see as I was a little worried my lack of 2u/3u maths would hinder me a lot. I did do 2u for about half of year 12, but i can't say i remember a great deal of it...

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I am planning on doing financial economics as my eco major so this is a good post for me to see as I was a little worried my lack of 2u/3u maths would hinder me a lot. I did do 2u for about half of year 12, but i can't say i remember a great deal of it...
The worst courses in the financial economics major are probably business forecasting, financial econometrics and economics of finance. Neither of them are particularly easy and all of them can be quite vague and hard to grasp.

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
I find stat pretty alright but i'm not sure about the calculus... is it really advance because i only got year 11 and abit of year 12 experience...

Like i find micro and macro in UTS piss easy.. like bash your head in the wall easy..

What are some example of econ classes that use stat rather then math?

ademayd

HSC
2nd year eco subjects requires heaps of maths, 1st year is easy, 2nd year expects you to recall and use your yr12 maths skills.

you can still pass with general maths but you will suffer IMO

ohne

HSC
Courses in first year economics involve maths. The perception is that at least the course in quantitative methods is quite hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)