• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

economics Extension (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
There is a possibility a tangent of economics willl be introduced. It's called political economy and it's kicking off in some unis as well. That or it could be intergrated into the syllabus.
It's much more a social science then economics. Economics deals with how models relate with the way the economy works etc. Pol econ deals with economics history and how the decisions are made that shape up our economy.

roadcone

HSC
Mandy101 said:
We have four full classes of Economics at my school, which is why I was so surprised to read that only 5000-6000 students do it in the state each year.
wow. we only have like 15 people doing it, and there are 170 in my year

topcat27

Toddles
HSC
roadcone said:
wow. we only have like 15 people doing it, and there are 170 in my year
We have about that in our year, and only 4 in the eco. class. Started at 3, then 5, now 4.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
There is a possibility a tangent of economics willl be introduced. It's called political economy and it's kicking off in some unis as well. That or it could be intergrated into the syllabus.
It's much more a social science then economics. Economics deals with how models relate with the way the economy works etc. Pol econ deals with economics history and how the decisions are made that shape up our economy.
Political Economy is not exactly taking off yet. Enrolment numbers struggle at USYD (you hear Frank often yapping about the amount of advertising they have to do) and the branch hasnt even started at UNSW yet. Also, numbers of economics students as a whole (starting at HSC level) are dwindling in comparison to subjects like business studies. Also, the fact that political economy is so left-wing in its teaching sort of makes me think that it's introduction might be somewhat controversial?

Edit: God, i sound pessimistic LOL. I love P. Economy btw :p

monique66

i heard about political science but not economy, anyway sounds interesting..i wish i could do political science :(

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Sarah168 said:
Political Economy is not exactly taking off yet. Enrolment numbers struggle at USYD (you hear Frank often yapping about the amount of advertising they have to do) and the branch hasnt even started at UNSW yet. Also, numbers of economics students as a whole (starting at HSC level) are dwindling in comparison to subjects like business studies. Also, the fact that political economy is so left-wing in its teaching sort of makes me think that it's introduction might be somewhat controversial?

Edit: God, i sound pessimistic LOL. I love P. Economy btw :p
there's two full lecture-halls though. That seems like there's a lot of number. They had to even get extra tutors.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
haha the 3 o clock one is far from full :p

Frank said that it was only this year that they had such numbers in P.E. I can't begin to imagine what it was like a few years before this....and compared to regular economics which has like 6 full eastern avenue filled streams, P. E is small potatoes..

stazi

Nightman
HSC
well obviously economics has more people enrolled. For example if you do b econ then you MUST do economics. Thus you had such high enrollment numbers. Ecop isn't very well known either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)