Economics- HSC Essay predictions ! (1 Viewer)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Hey everyone,

Here are my predictions for the 2014 HSC Economics exam.

DISCLAIMER:In no way am i stating these questions will be in the HSC exam, they are simply my recommendations on what you should pay particular attention to. Ensure you study for all other topics, there is no shortcut to ensuring a band 6.

Screen Shot 2014-10-04 at 3.48.38 pm.png

Macroeconomic and Microeconomic policies addressing - Very likely

• it appears in most years
• Over the last 2 years it has not specified what policy- for this reason I believe there will be an option for specific macroeconomic or microeconomic policies
• Fiscal policy Is a relevant issue in our economy so I think that is more likely as monetary policy has been fairly stable over the last 18 months, however you may get the option to either monetary or fiscal
• Independent paper has both macro policies and micro as separate essay questions- this is also a good indicator
• I believe they will not specify the economic objectives required as this was done in 2013

External stability/Balance of Payments/CAD- Very likely

• Balance of payments has only come up 3 times in the last 8 years
• In 2012 the Balance of Payments was present, for this reason I believe there is a LIKELY chance it will be a specific question ONLY on the CAD
• CAD was present in the 2014 independent paper

Environment- Potentially

• This last came up in 2010
• Environmental sustainability were short answer questions in 2013
• This topic is becoming increasingly popular in the subject over the last few years, more and more short answers have come up so I believe they will finally focus on an extended response
• Students tend to skip this part of the syllabus so it is a potential ‘curveball’ question

International agreements/free trade- Very very unlikely

• it was present in the 2013 paper

Globalisation/Case Study-Unlikely
• Case study is unlikely as it was used in 2012
• This topic is unlikely and I believe it will be used in the short answer questions instead

Exchange rates-Very unlikely

• Last used in 2013
• It is a major issue in the Australian economy, however due to its regularity in the last 3 years (has been used twice) it is VERY VERY unlikely

Unemployment- 99% unlikely

Other potential topics that MAY come up randomly
- Labour markets

Last edited:

spaks1995

HSC
wat about those international organisation related questions??
like world bank, IMF, WTO's role in globalisation caz i found heaps of figures in there that can be used

trungduong12

HSC
Dont know why but my eco teachers say there will be case study essay ;(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trungduong12

HSC
wat about those international organisation related questions??
like world bank, IMF, WTO's role in globalisation caz i found heaps of figures in there that can be used
They asked that last yr?

spaks1995

HSC
I found environmental related essays really hard becaz i jst cant find enough figures to write for 800+ words essay

trungduong12

HSC
wasnt last year one international trade agreements and stuff which are on APEC and other trade agreements??
I mean i dont think they will ask stuff like that again like those organisations u know

More abt policies like macro micro and external stability and environment

iStudent

HSC
I think it's 50 50 for the case study. They either ask it every 2 years or every 3. I think there's a good chance of it coming up this year.
Also, if they ask one of the fiscal monetary micro questions i dont think labour market policies would come up. (they can't have all topic 4 questions!). I think the other random topic question would be a question on globalization (one of those really broad questions)

Last edited:

GOsie

HSC
I disagree with the international organisations prediction. Last year was
"Analyse the effects of domestic AND global free trade and protection policies on the Australian economy."

I think they could ask for something like
"Examine the influence of international organisations, government economic forums, trading blocs, and free trade agreements on promoting globalisation."

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Drifting's predictions are pretty much all agree-able and I'd trust his predictions more than my own :haha:

But my personal predictions anyways...

TOPIC 1 ESSAY TOPIC
- Positive/negative effects of globalisation on the global economy.
--> Potential curve-ball - causes and effects of inequality in the global distribution of income and wealth.

TOPIC 2 ESSAY TOPIC
- Impact of recent changes in the global economy on Australia’s trade and financial flows AND/OR structure of industry. (i.e. structural change)
--> Potential curve-ball - effects of changes in trade and financial flows on Australia’s economic performance (combines topics 2 and 3)

Rationale - Balance of Payments and Exchange Rates have been covered in the past 2-3 years.

TOPIC 3 ESSAY TOPIC
- External Stability
--> Potential curve-ball - Environmental Sustainability

TOPIC 4 ESSAY TOPIC
- Micro policies
--> Potential curve-ball - Labour market policies or perhaps even... environmental policies

But predictions are only predictions. Just study everything guys :haha:

Smooth Operator

HSC
My teacher seems to reckon there will be a trade agreement question in there somewhere due to contemporary trade agreements in the process of being created and such around the time the exam would have been made. Thinking TPP, KAFTA, JAEPA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)