• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

economics magazine? (1 Viewer)

bobbetng

HSC
hey guys,

i started the preliminary economics course this year, and i wondered which of the two magazines - brw or the economist would help me the most during this year and the next?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
bobbetng said:
hey guys,

i started the preliminary economics course this year, and i wondered which of the two magazines - brw or the economist would help me the most during this year and the next?
Those two are the only ones I know.
Newspapers are: SMH, Financial Review.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i wouldnt read the economist for the high school economics.

Reading the SMH is enough because the most relevant economics-related articles are in the main news section anyway. The business page is all about takeovers, shares and boring rumours of acquisitions.

Actually, just read Gittins. It's entertaining :p

bobbetng

HSC
i'm guessing that most of the economics course is generally about australia and its relation to the rest of the world economically... and seeing that the economist is an international magazine, i guess i'll subscribe to brw...

this gittins guy... i've heard that he oversimplifies things too much?

matt88m

HSC
N/A
I subscribe to both, though havent read BRW in along time, Economist is alot more interesting, + every once in a while an issue will have major relevance to what youre doing, an assessment or whatever.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
bobbetng said:
not really. He doesnt write to cater for HSC kids obviously but I thought that 80% of the things he talks about are fairly relevant to the course. Sometimes, he goes for the social economics angle which isn't present in the HSC course at all but still good to read as an economics student.

Mostly, I read him for recent stats/developments and the entertaining factor because he's a good writer. I wish he still did those books that he did in the 80's where compilations of his articles were placed under relevant HSC headings.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yeah i've seen those but i like the thick published books he used to do with all the cute cartoons lol

Demandred

HSC
bobbetng said:
i'm guessing that most of the economics course is generally about australia and its relation to the rest of the world economically... and seeing that the economist is an international magazine, i guess i'll subscribe to brw...

I have to disagree. There are many issues relevent which are happening around the world that are relevent to Australia. For instance, this week's copy highlights strategies against an aging population in Europe. Over the past few months, it has dealt thoroghly with climate change and the oil crisis.

Don't forget that in a highly globalised world, the economic policy of one country would influence another 3000 miles away, a economy's problems, lessons and strategies can easily be mimiced in another economy and could be dealt with accordingly.

Don't think whatever happens in the US/Europe/Asia won't happen here, this isn't post WW1.

edit - I wouldn't recommend the Financial Review or BRW, its articles covers more on company performance and shares prices rather than economic issues. SMH, especially Gittins, does a great job at summing up economic issues.

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
hmm what demandred says is true in a way but i seroiusly doubt whether you really need to be spending time reading up extensively on world economic issues. It would be good but i wouldnt have had the time in the HSC.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Demandred said:
edit - I wouldn't recommend the Financial Review... its articles covers more on company performance and shares prices rather than economic issues.
I agree very convincingly with you there, most of the articles are on companies and business performance, although occassionally you might find a decent article that is relevant to the HSC course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)