economics or business studies? (subject selection) (1 Viewer)

rach18

HSC
Uni Grad
Should I do economics or business studies? Or should I do neither of them and just do legal studies? Will having a crap teacher for economics affect my learning? :O

noreun

HSC
Personally, I would go with economics. Then if you still think that the teacher is bad, change to business.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Economics. Having a bad teacher for any subject will affect your learning and if that turns out to be the case, move to legal studies. Note this is purely my opinion.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
economics is more complex with every topic/chapter somehow linked to one another. As such, it requires a lot of thinking and linking.

Business is a subject for people who can't do Economics, and was the reason for its establishment.

Do business if you can't handle the pressures of rigorous learning

Gigacube

HSC
I guess it depends what your more interested in. Business Studies does require you to read & write a lot but Economics requires you to write reports.

klaris

HSC
i do economics and as long as your focused and study a bit now and then and LOOK OVER YOUR NOTES, you'll definitely be fine with a shitty teacher. trust me, i have a terrible teacher and it's what i'm doing/starting to do and it really clears things up.

i don't find economics really, really hard but some people do. unless you're incredibly stupid, i'd recommend economics.

legal studies as your next best bet, though. i don't do it but heard it's amazing, amazing, amazing. i'd be doing it if it didn't clash with my other classes

Deathless

HSC
IMO, I'd do both Business and Eco.

And no, if you're willing to read your textbook; the teacher doesn't matter at all.

klaris

HSC
Deathless, i think econ and business are on the same line..

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Eco is far more broad and at the end of the day, is a philosophy. It requires a bit more independent thought and also helps if you have an interest in the topics. If you're an avid consumer and want to know more about how things like interest rates, globalisation, protection, etc.. affect you, it's a great subject. I found it very interesting. You also need to stay up to date on economic news and know some statistics in your exams to do well. It may help you a bit with university since it gives you a background to economics (which is a core subject in Commerce) but the HSC version is more definitions based whereas university is far more statistics/numbers/graphs based.

Business is a traditional rote learn subject. You learn a bunch of definitions and case studies for the most part and regurgitate them in an essay or exam. It's enjoyable but one of those subjects where it's easy to do ok, but difficult to do really well. It's more about essays and is a bit waffly. That being said you touch on many issues which are relevant to small business owners (e.g. if you want to be an entrepreneur) and in terms of practicality for the real world, the stuff you *touch on* on this subject (e.g. balance sheets, ratios, etc) is very applicable to a lot of Commerce jobs.

Gigacube

HSC
Deathless, i think econ and business are on the same line..
Actually I think it can change from school to school. It depends what the rest of Rach's year chooses to do & then they sort out lines.

Deathless

HSC
Actually I think it can change from school to school. It depends what the rest of Rach's year chooses to do & then they sort out lines.

Yes it depends on the numbers.

If you can, and would enjoy business; I'd also reccomend doing economics. IMO eco is a bit harder than business, like modern to ancient hist. But doing both is helpful as some stuff crosses over a bit.

rach18

HSC
Uni Grad
okay thanks for the info, i have to choose my subjects next week and i'm wondering whether having 14 units is too much.. how many subjects did you guys do in year 11?
:/

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
i do economics and as long as your focused and study a bit now and then and LOOK OVER YOUR NOTES, you'll definitely be fine with a shitty teacher. trust me, i have a terrible teacher and it's what i'm doing/starting to do and it really clears things up.

i don't find economics really, really hard but some people do. unless you're incredibly stupid, i'd recommend economics.

legal studies as your next best bet, though. i don't do it but heard it's amazing, amazing, amazing. i'd be doing it if it didn't clash with my other classes
*facepalm*

Gigacube

HSC
okay thanks for the info, i have to choose my subjects next week and i'm wondering whether having 14 units is too much.. how many subjects did you guys do in year 11?
:/
14 Units is probably too much unless you have excellent time management skills or your planning on dropping to 10-11 Units in year 12. I'm doing 13 units next year.

Deathless

HSC
14 Units is probably too much unless you have excellent time management skills or your planning on dropping to 10-11 Units in year 12. I'm doing 13 units next year.
14 U is fine during Prelim. You'll possibly pick up more (ex2 maths, ext hist, ext2 eng) and maybe drop some but in year 12, you'll only really need 11 or 12 (to be safe)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)