Economics or Business Studies (2 Viewers)

lgn

HSC
Hey guys, I'm dropping Chemistry for Eco or Business and I'm not sure which course to pick up

photastic

HSC
Choose what you want to do and what you are better at. Remember, economics is not about money (Biggest mistake I made) and is a more sophisticated course than business studies, more content etc. However, economics will reward you more than business if you achieve high in it since it scales higher.

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Which one seems more interesting for you?

Just quickly skim through an Economics textbook or Business Studies then have a general feel for the two subs.

These are my thoughts...

Pros of Economics
- Scales better than Business Studies
- Does not rely on pure-memorisation as much as Business Studies but the content is still nevertheless quite heavy.

Pros of Business Studies
- Does not rely on ''understanding'' as much as Economics so it could feel easier.
- 1 of the 2 extended responses questions is the BUSINESS REPORT and trust me... a Business Report feels easier to write than an essay. You can choose an essay format or business report format for the final section (I chose to write an essay for the final section most of the time).

Many people will say Economics is more interesting than Business Studies but it really comes down to personal tastes.

enoilgam

HSC
The question you need to ask yourself is which will you enjoy more and most importantly, which one do you think you can do best in. I was in the exact same position as you (second week of Year 11, I wanted to drop Chemistry for either Business Studies or Eco) and I chose Economics because it seemed more interesting. Either way though, I think I would have been happy with Business as well.

matchalolz

HSC
i'm doing both these subjects right now and like both of them! i find that economics has more understanding involved as said above and business studies is really similar to year 9 commerce imo. if i were to pick only one i would go with economics but that's just my personal opinion :) i would be happy with only doing business studies as well.

gilza95

HSC
Economics will scale so much better, but it's a difficult subject and requires a lot of time and effort to develop a way of thinking and writing to excel. Business studies is straight regurgitation of content which is piss easy and you can make a lot of shit up. As long as you memorise your syllabus you have to be a retard not to crack a band 6.

SabrinaSchool

HSC
N/A
I switched from Business to Economics.

Economics is a lot harder. But it is a much better subject and requires you to keep up by revising yourself on the subject.
Business is a lot easier but I hated it. It was just notes and notes on terminology and that was it.
If your interesting in running your own business one day then that is really all you need that subject for.

Basically if you think you can do Economics and your interested, Then do it over business

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I enjoyed both however i preferred economics more due to the dynamic and ever changing nature of the course. It does require more interaction and involvement with current events though, be prepared to study more than just the textbook if you want to go well (newspaper articles, websites etc).

Fonzie32

HSC
Business studies you can bullshit A LOT of things as a lot of it can be two sided. E.g one may believe in this theory and another in this theory etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)