• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Economics UNSW (1 Viewer)

HSC
Economics has the same course structure as commerce in first year. So you'll be doing your accounting, econ maths and economics together. The difference is that in economics, its mandatory that you have to do an economics major (obviously).

So basically, you'll have to do one of the following;

- Economics
- Econometrics
- Financial Economics

In the past, they offered economic history as a major in eco but I noticed they're removed it in 2009 handbook.

In addition, you'll also do either a minor or another major from within the ASB (accounting, finance, etc...).

I'll talk about the majors themselves.

Economics is the most generic major under the economics degree. It's basically more study into micro, macro and some econometrics. And its a 'free for all' in regards to your electives so you can pick and choose from the 2 lists in the handbook. I do this major but I do it under a commerce degree so its renamed 'business economics'.

Econometrics is probably the hardest major out of the required 3. You'll basically be doing advanced econometric modelling and alot of mathematical theory. Even though you'll do some econometrics in the economics major, it won't be as hard as the required courses you'll need to complete for econometrics. Basically, if you're shit at maths (like me), don't go near it.

Financial economics (which I'm doing under my eco degree), in terms of difficulty, lies between the ones above. It's a funny major and not a very common one but I prefer it over a normal finance major. It's basically a lot of econometric modelling with a bit of finance. You'll be doing stuff like business forecasting and financial econometrics which is getting some information, making econmetric models for it and making predictions or forecasts based from it. The theory is less mathematical than econometrics but its quite abstact and hard to really understand. Like I said before, its not a very common major so chances are, you won't really find too many people doing it.
actually financial econometrics is probably harder, but don't have a big heart attack over the maths. i did general maths in high school and got 58 in qma, 50 in qmb and im going fine in eco! but you do have to study that extra bit hard and ask stupid questions like whats a derivative (well, in first year anyway :p)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
econometrics isn't that hard.

atm1991

HSC
I'm thinking of doing BEco in 2010, and I'm liking the looks of the Finance/Financial Economics combo, but I'd wait until I'd spent some time in the degree before making any definite choices obviously.

I was thinking UTS Business due to the similar cutoff, and I myself am by no means a 'prestige whore' (I don't like the general atmosphere at USYD) but it seems pretty clear that many employers do still have a tendenecy to favour USYD/UNSW grads, so hence why I'm now leaning more towards UNSW. That and I think the ASB as a whole looks very strong after attending Open Day last week.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I'm thinking of doing BEco in 2010, and I'm liking the looks of the Finance/Financial Economics combo, but I'd wait until I'd spent some time in the degree before making any definite choices obviously.

I was thinking UTS Business due to the similar cutoff, and I myself am by no means a 'prestige whore' (I don't like the general atmosphere at USYD) but it seems pretty clear that many employers do still have a tendenecy to favour USYD/UNSW grads, so hence why I'm now leaning more towards UNSW. That and I think the ASB as a whole looks very strong after attending Open Day last week.
If you haven't already, check out the main library on upper campus. That place is the shit.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Is the Actuarial major at UNSW good? I'm considering it, along with finance or something when I go to Uni.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
haha i use to never step into that place, but its a good hangout /end nerd talk

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
However, I prefer the look of Sydney AND I'm considering (if I get into commerce) attempting to get a transfer to law; usyd is generally thought to have the best law faculty, hence my justification.
I don't mean to start a flame war, but UNSW is considered to have the best Law degree.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
haha i don't do law so i don't care which way the debate swings...

but absorber, is that why you are a 2009er and it's because you've heard from so many sources compared to those who study courses with many law students within them?

absorber

HSC
haha i don't do law so i don't care which way the debate swings...

but absorber, is that why you are a 2009er and it's because you've heard from so many sources compared to those who study courses with many law students within them?
I am a 2009er because I was born in November 1991.

My mother is a lawyer. She employs graduates, and she says Sydney > all, basically. Also, a person doing alright in sydney or nsw would tend to beat the best in the lower tier universities

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
your mother is a lawyer, hence this is still biased from one source, rather than an industry. And even within an industry, it would depend on the type of employer (i.e. came from usyd so will tend to be biased towards graduates from usyd and vice versa for the unsw alumni).

Other factors to be considered would be the delivery of a course, and life outside of the classroom (i.e. support network, social life etc.).

absorber

HSC
your mother is a lawyer, hence this is still biased from one source, rather than an industry. And even within an industry, it would depend on the type of employer (i.e. came from usyd so will tend to be biased towards graduates from usyd and vice versa for the unsw alumni).

Other factors to be considered would be the delivery of a course, and life outside of the classroom (i.e. support network, social life etc.).
Whatever dude, I'm not going to be convinced, you can think what you want. What I am more certain about is the superiority of Usyd's arts facilities, arts also interest me. But whatever. This is meant to be about eco at unsw, not arts/law at usyd

HSC
As a bos uni discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving USyd and UNSW approaches 1

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Your hsc is in 09, same as me. You probably know little more than me. So why would UNSW be so much better? I've come to the conclusion that they're both pretty much very similar. I'm well aware of the requirements.

However, I prefer the look of Sydney AND I'm considering (if I get into commerce) attempting to get a transfer to law; usyd is generally thought to have the best law faculty, hence my justification.
Fair enough. That's your decision.

I don't mean to start a flame war, but UNSW is considered to have the best Law degree.
It's not that you're starting a flame war. It's more that you've deviated completely off topic in a thread that is mostly concerned with economics and maybe a slight mention of some of our com/eco-related buildings. If you want to fucking compare law faculties, either do it in our unsw law/arts sub-forum or the usyd one.

Whatever dude, I'm not going to be convinced, you can think what you want. What I am more certain about is the superiority of Usyd's arts facilities, arts also interest me. But whatever. This is meant to be about eco at unsw, not arts/law at usyd
I agree with you here. Completely. That even includes the mention of our arts facilities because they're shit. I would know because I transferred out of it in disgust as I used to do eco/social science.

As a bos uni discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving USyd and UNSW approaches 1
They happen every year and never go anywhere. I'm too old nowadays to worry about other people's universities but at the very least, I know UNSW is a great university to the point where I don't need to bash other unis to justify my point. I admit, I've done this in the past though.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
absorber, at no point did i mention that one was better than the other. however, i did in fact mention that you would have to consider the different perspectives. i merely questioned the validity of your statements.

however, i do agree that unsw arts faculties are abysmal.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
My mother is a lawyer. She employs graduates, and she says Sydney > all, basically. Also, a person doing alright in sydney or nsw would tend to beat the best in the lower tier universities
Right, well I really don't care if you're going to debate this with a "my mother..." type argument, I just thought you might want clarification. UNSW's Law degree is meant to be as good if not better. Your mum's personal preference doesn't bother me.

It's not that you're starting a flame war. It's more that you've deviated completely off topic in a thread that is mostly concerned with economics and maybe a slight mention of some of our com/eco-related buildings. If you want to fucking compare law faculties, either do it in our unsw law/arts sub-forum or the usyd one.
"Deviated off topic"? That guy just said he was choosing USyd because they're meant to have the best Law degree, I'm not trying to derail this thread. Also, I clearly wasn't trying to compare anything, so try not to be so touchy next time a post upsets you slightly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)