Economics vs Econometrics vs Quantitative Business Analysis vs Financial Mathematics (1 Viewer)

pHyRe

HSC
So I'm starting a Commerce/Science degree at USyd this year and I'm not 100% sure what majors I wanna do.

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards Finance which sounds fine to me so far. But I also want to do some quantiative stuff. So my options are to combine Finance and a 2nd commerce major with financial mathematics (or maybe pure) in the science degreee or to try transfer to Commerce (liberal studies) and do 3 majors.

im leaning towards the comm/science one since i can do more stuff like psycology or chem on the side.

In this case what should my major be? I was leaning towards Economics but ive been 2nd guessing myself a bit.

So the choices are: Economics, QBA or Econometrics.

What are the differences between each?

thanks!

pHyRe

HSC
Re: Economics vs Econometrics vs Quantitative Business Analysis vs Financial Mathemat

bump! :)

UNSW WSC - Scotty

HSC
Re: Economics vs Econometrics vs Quantitative Business Analysis vs Financial Mathemat

I have an economic degree myself and am doing msc of fina maths at unsw so happy to give my 2 cents.

What career path are you going down?

If you want to go for a big 4 bank/accountant, econs or QBA probably aren't bad bets. Econometrics is a blend of stats, calculus and economics so that would be of more use to you if you're going into research, maybe RBA, a university, some departments in Investment Banks. I'm sure they'd have a few positions at a big 4 account as well.

Financial Maths can be a lot of fun (is for me as I'm interested in it), but I wouldn't recommend it if not. The math gets very tricky, but you get to answer interesting questions like, "how much is an option on CBA worth right now?" or "why do stock prices fluctuate the way they do?". You'd want this if you're going to work at a hedge fund, specific investment bank departments. There also a few research roles you could move into.

pHyRe

HSC

I have an economic degree myself and am doing msc of fina maths at unsw so happy to give my 2 cents.

What career path are you going down?

If you want to go for a big 4 bank/accountant, econs or QBA probably aren't bad bets. Econometrics is a blend of stats, calculus and economics so that would be of more use to you if you're going into research, maybe RBA, a university, some departments in Investment Banks. I'm sure they'd have a few positions at a big 4 account as well.

Financial Maths can be a lot of fun (is for me as I'm interested in it), but I wouldn't recommend it if not. The math gets very tricky, but you get to answer interesting questions like, "how much is an option on CBA worth right now?" or "why do stock prices fluctuate the way they do?". You'd want this if you're going to work at a hedge fund, specific investment bank departments. There also a few research roles you could move into.
sorry for the late reply, but no dont think i want to be an accountant.

Research, RBA, uni, some positions at IBs sounds interesting though!

I think I might stick with Finance/Econ majors in the comm degree and Financial Maths in the science (if i choose to continue the science degree).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)