Economics (1 Viewer)

SyCoTiC

HSC
Hi! Just wondering if any of you guys out there currently doing the Preliminary Economics course this year are having any trouble with it? =) Conceptually it's rather hard to grasp but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty simple. Thoughts?

fatpac

HSC
yer it is pretty confusing with all the different graphs and symbols and shit

cs01001

HSC
Yea, Economics is hard. I need to revise it soon

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Concepts are pretty simple to me, its kinda basic in a way.

topdeck

HSC
I do eco at the moment and i find it fairly challenging. Our teacher's gone on holidays so we have a substitue so alot of the concpets and theories tend to go straight over my head.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I'm not having too much trouble. I missed out on a few lessons when I fell sick so I was kind of struggling to catch up, but now I'm good. :) Just revise consistently, and things will soon start to click.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Our teacher just shove us with all these calculation practices and goes through none of the theory behind it >.> We spent lessons on how to calculate the MPC MPS, LRAC etc (more complication to it then the textbook)

cs01001

HSC
topdeck said:
I do eco at the moment and i find it fairly challenging. Our teacher's gone on holidays so we have a substitue so alot of the concpets and theories tend to go straight over my head.
Damn, a lot of teachers are going on holidays at the moment. MY geography and private music teacher has gone to Queensland, my Modern teacher will be absent in the starting weeks of Term 2, as he is going over to Greece, Athens etc to do sightseeing.... :(

SyCoTiC

HSC
Haha well I mean any troubles just let me know or if you need a regular tutor on it. I can definitely help with that - Simplifying the concept is the best way I figured in understanding it. Once you go over these concepts repeatedly, they stick to your head easily. ;)

terwrath

HSC
Hmm...I did not study for mine economics exam and received 89% though i pay attention in class :cool:

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
hey guys, i'm in year 10. what i wanna know is is there a major difference in economics and business study? what kind of work do you do in economics and business study?
THANKS

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
cs01001 said:
Damn, a lot of teachers are going on holidays at the moment. MY geography and private music teacher has gone to Queensland, my Modern teacher will be absent in the starting weeks of Term 2, as he is going over to Greece, Athens etc to do sightseeing.... :(
My eco teacher is taking leave too. I know (in her case) it's because the Year 12's have their half-yearlies now, so her absence won't disrupt them.

Oh yeah, and Business and Economics are totally different - they do overlap in certain topics (same with Legal) but they're two separate subjects with separate syllabuses.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Our teacher spends the whole lesson given us calculation problems on how to solve things................and we get none of the theory

sirfeathers

HSC
I'm really enjoying Economics at the moment. I'm finding that I can understand so much more stuff on the news etc. after having learnt all the terminology from Economics. It's a lot of work though! ;)

frieda

Premium Member
HSC
I really like economics, I'm finding everything good - not too challenging (but you should really revise the textbook in your own time) but that's probably because I learnt some concepts and got some foundations in it in commerce.

Razzah

HSC
Is anyone else here using the 'Year 11 Economics' textbook by Tim Riley? It's the worst textbook I have ever laid eyes on. To explain simple concepts like increases and decrease in demand/supply it uses overly complicated and ambiguous sentences meaning that you can't speedread through the damn book.

Arrrgh!

Robbeh

HSC
magpam said:
yeah tim riley does have that reputation. dixon is more easier to understand.
Yes and no.
Dixon is regarded as the simplest to read. While his writing is generally very easy to grasp and understand, he does have a tendency to miss out on a few points - if not being wrong altogether.
Riley on the other hand, is meticulous. But his writings are quite windy and long - nevertheless, if you can catch this ellusive bastard, then you're well on your way to understanding Economics.

Our school teaches from Dixon, and my eco. teacher basically summarizes Dixon's words adding on other bits he may have missed.

Go Dixon for grasping context, go Riley to back it up.

ON TOPIC:
initially eco can be hard, but once you get the idea of how things work in an (theoretical) economy, it becomes a lot easier. You can basically just say to yourself, if I was a consumer, and I was in this position, would I want to invest in this country if exchange rates / inflation / interest rates - whatever --- was this high?

It's like maths, you're deducing everything, but -- practically (not abstract sigma, integration - etc!).

mezza16

HSC
oh its great having a usyd economics graduate as your brother. i was having the time of my life going over marginal propensity until he explained it all to me.

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
mezza16 said:
oh its great having a usyd economics graduate as your brother. i was having the time of my life going over marginal propensity until he explained it all to me.
Haha lucky! I'm really glad my sister did Economics when she was at school. I think I'd die without her helping and clarifying things for me :eek:

sasa-o8

HSC
If you don't have a good economics teacher, then it's gonna be hard. Thank goodness I have a good teacher who explains things thoroughly. I found it pretty easy until we started elasticity...Now I'm screwed for half yearlies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)