Economist / Economic articles (1 Viewer)

DforDANNY

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know if its recommended in the HSC syllabus, but do any other prelim/hsc students read habitually read economic articles in the newspaper online and maybe use some of the points as sources in extended responses/class work?

One of my teachers recommended reading Ross Gittens, but I've come across criticism by other economists for his views so now i'm so-so on it. Other than that, I read Ecodate and other similar publications which mainly has articles written by MACQ lecturers/scholars.

As a student, what are your views on reading sources like this? Or is it just your teacher's notes / text book?

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah you definitely need to keep up to date with current events for a band 6 extended.

Ross Gittins is classic, you should keep reading. Obviously there's going to be criticism, that doesn't mean you should stop reading... just because some people criticise Shakespeare, we should stop reading Shakespeare? Everyone has a different opinion. Gittins' opinions or predictions aren't going to align with every single other economist, otherwise there'd be no point in being an economist... Read different sources to get multiple perspectives. You can represent conflicting economic objectives/responses or uncertainty by quoting different sources.

Our teacher gives us articles, and I also personally read the Finance/Business section of the usual newspapers...

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Yes you should, always be aware of current economic news.

For example, Bluescope Steel recently fired 1000 people (Monday) and closed down its entire export industry (ie. as a result of AUD appreciation and loss of international competitiveness).

DforDANNY

HSC
Uni Grad
Nice to get a decent discussion around. Yeah, I've been reading Gittens since start of preliminary, and whenever other writers write about key events, but then sometimes I just feel there's too much political influence on some of these articles (I'm sure you've also noticed in some cases).

aphorae, are there any other regular economists with relevant hsc/good read articles?

DforDANNY

HSC
Uni Grad
abc/sbs news are more comprehensive imo, and i find a lot of their programs are reliable sources for economics and other subjects (i.e. legal studies)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
SBS is more internationally focused.

ABC imo is just fucking boring.

HSC
I read Ross Gittens/the Economist (the latter more for the current affairs admittedly).

Though to be completely honest, you don't really need to - so as long as you know the vague current economic indicators (cash rate is 4.75%/inflation rate is 3.6%/ToT is at an all-time high/employment is rising etc) you're fine...
Note though; I just bullshit Economics and come out with 90+ marks - I see Economics as the subject of 'how much and how well can you bullshit in 3 hours).

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I read Ross Gittens/the Economist (the latter more for the current affairs admittedly).

Though to be completely honest, you don't really need to - so as long as you know the vague current economic indicators (cash rate is 4.75%/inflation rate is 3.6%/ToT is at an all-time high/employment is rising etc) you're fine...
Note though; I just bullshit Economics and come out with 90+ marks - I see Economics as the subject of 'how much and how well can you bullshit in 3 hours).
If you get caught faking figures you will get zero, be careful.

mangoz

HSC
You can fake or makeup stats and figures.
You will not get 0. If the person marking knows you are faking he will lookdown upon your essay but you will not get 0 lol. And to the OP yeah definately keep up to date. Mentioning something recent will blow the marker out of the water if its related well. However using certain economist's point of view may need some caution because it's an eco essay, not a political discussion etc. Tbh all you really need is current statistics + a good essay to reach a band 6 (not including articles).

cloudstr1f3r

HSC
lol, especially the case study. If you decided to do some country like Kenya or Macau, I'm sure they're not going to GOOGLE the statistics, just make sense and inform them, then I'm pretty sure that your essay would be band 6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)