ECOP Question/Opinion (1 Viewer)

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
What subject do you think is more interesting for second semester?

ECOP 1003 - International Economy and Finance

or

ECOP 1004 - Economy and Society

spence

HSC
I'd reccommend ECOP1004. I did 1002 last semester which has been changed to 1004 and it was pretty interesting. ECOP1003 doesn't seem very interesting imo

nick1689

HSC
If youre interested in the international side of economic theory, go 1003. It's actually really fun, and pretty easy - I almost got a D and im just an average student, and I didnt even know that much about economics when I started

HSC
ECOP1002 was ruined for me by Gabrielle Meagher, but she isn't in the ECOP department anymore, so my opinion is highly worthless.

*leaves thread*

KarmaKitten

HSC
Then why do another 2 junior ECOP subjects next semester? Its a waste of 6 credit points really.

Plus with ECOP1003 a lot of the stuff gets repeated in Senior ECOP anyways. Not sure about ECOP1002

Just saying.

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
Well originally I had enrolled in SPAN 1002 and ECOP 1003 in semester two.... but since spanish is such a bitch... I decided to pick up 1002 instead of continuing Spanish next semester.... Do you know any other fun units that are not tied into a Sem 1 subject that I could do in semester two instead?
.... I hope that made sense

KarmaKitten

HSC
There are quite a few really.

You can do a junior govt, history, english, film studies, WORK, etc etc etc. Arts and Economics have some good junior subjects that shouldn't be too taxing. It depends on your interest.

I mean, by all means, if you really want to do both ECOP1003 and ECOP1002 then do it.

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
Yeah in the end it will probably depend on my timetable and if the subject doesnt have stupid lecture times.... Do you know if they have a census daet for semester two aswell.... or do you have to have it all good by this first one?

KarmaKitten

HSC
Nah, there is a second census date for the second semester.

Last day to add a unit: 7th August
Last day to withdraw: 31st August

So you have plenty of time to change your subjects for semester 2, you can do it after this semester ends.

spence

HSC
Do you know any other fun units that are not tied into a Sem 1 subject that I could do in semester two instead?
.... I hope that made sense
You could do what KarmaKitten said and just look for a fun looking first year course, and there are also some senior units that don't have prereqs. Like I think there are some philosophy ones and I know there is a classics one on next sem that looks interesting (to me at least)

HSC
You might consider PHIL2642 Critical Thinking. I didn't do it myself, but it seems like quite a useful generic arts course, and there are no prerequisites for it,

wagga

HSC
It's actually really fun, and pretty easy - I almost got a D and im just an average student, and I didnt even know that much about economics when I started
That's the thing though, political economy has very little to do with economics. That's why they kicked it out of the faculty of economics and business. It is just a pathetic bunch of old Marxists desperately trying to cling on to relevance. The first year units are alright, it just goes downhill from there though.

nick1689

HSC
Not really bro, it might not have that much to do with the maths side of economics (thank god), just the theory, and how it actually effects society and economic systems etc etc... All the fun stuff

wagga

HSC
Not really bro, it might not have that much to do with the maths side of economics (thank god), just the theory, and how it actually effects society and economic systems etc etc... All the fun stuff
PE at usyd basically presents every theory from a Marxist perspective; IMO it doesn't present a balanced view of economics. As I said, the reason it was kicked out of the faculty of E&B was that it wasn't seen as being 'real' economics. The department are more than happy to point out the problems with capitalism, but are unwilling to put any reasonable solutions for the issues they raise, which makes it hard to take anything they say seriously.

HSC
Erm. How many ECOP courses have you taken? :confused:

When I took the courses they weren't shoving Marxism down everybody's throat.

Last edited:

KarmaKitten

HSC
Ditto with Silver Persian.

Also, the ECOP subjects have suggested many alternative solutions to the neoliberal view of markets in terms of development and progress. So I dont know where you are getting this whole 'offer no solution therefore it cant be taken seriously' from.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)