Ecop1002/ecop1003 (1 Viewer)

bustinjustin

HSC
Have you had a look at the Subject Reviews? There's some on ECOP1002/1003 there. Unfortunately, ECOP1001 with Frank is a huge act to follow and it seems many people come away a little disappointed with ECOP in Semester 2, so you need to go in with lower expectations. But if you need or want to do senior units you'll need to have done ECOP both semesters (most people can only do ECOP1002 if they're not doing International Studies, but this may only be if you're looking to major, they may have changed it so you can non-B. Int. Studies folk can do ECOP1003 and go on to do senior units, best to check the handbook)

Previously, Gabrielle Meagher took ECOP1002. She's a smart woman, but some people had issues with the dryness of her lectures (and the subject for that matter), and with her patronising tone. However, she's now a professor in Social Policy, so I'm not sure who's teaching ECOP1002 these days (is it Lynne Chester?). Bill Dunn takes ECOP1003, a nice man I'm sure, I did 1002 rather than 1003 though. ECOP1003 does seem more interesting if you like the sound 'International Finance' and institutions, etc, though some people have had issues with lectures and the assessments.

With ECOP1002, as the title implies, it's policy-oriented, from memory it looks at everything from fiscal policy, social policy and welfare, industrial relations, trade, privatisation/deregulation, and the impact of economic policy (or the 'state') on society, families and individuals. Under Gabrielle Meagher, lectures were spent looking at gazillions of statistics and charts on overheads, and understanding the history/policy/assumptions/ the 'story' or issues beneath the data. The course may be taught a little differently under the new lecturer, but I imagine the general gist of the course remains the same. I didn't mind the course at all, though I did pretty well in it so that might change things a bit. As with ECOP in general, it's useful to have an open mind.

CurlyRuby

HSC
I think int studies students get a choice between 1002 and 1003?

ledzeppelin

HSC
bustinjustin said:
Have you had a look at the Subject Reviews? There's some on ECOP1002/1003 there. Unfortunately, ECOP1001 with Frank is a huge act to follow and it seems many people come away a little disappointed with ECOP in Semester 2, so you need to go in with lower expectations. But if you need or want to do senior units you'll need to have done ECOP both semesters (most people can only do ECOP1002 if they're not doing International Studies, but this may only be if you're looking to major, they may have changed it so you can non-B. Int. Studies folk can do ECOP1003 and go on to do senior units, best to check the handbook)

Previously, Gabrielle Meagher took ECOP1002. She's a smart woman, but some people had issues with the dryness of her lectures (and the subject for that matter), and with her patronising tone. However, she's now a professor in Social Policy, so I'm not sure who's teaching ECOP1002 these days (is it Lynne Chester?). Bill Dunn takes ECOP1003, a nice man I'm sure, I did 1002 rather than 1003 though. ECOP1003 does seem more interesting if you like the sound 'International Finance' and institutions, etc, though some people have had issues with lectures and the assessments.

With ECOP1002, as the title implies, it's policy-oriented, from memory it looks at everything from fiscal policy, social policy and welfare, industrial relations, trade, privatisation/deregulation, and the impact of economic policy (or the 'state') on society, families and individuals. Under Gabrielle Meagher, lectures were spent looking at gazillions of statistics and charts on overheads, and understanding the history/policy/assumptions/ the 'story' or issues beneath the data. The course may be taught a little differently under the new lecturer, but I imagine the general gist of the course remains the same. I didn't mind the course at all, though I did pretty well in it so that might change things a bit. As with ECOP in general, it's useful to have an open mind.
meant to say thank you for this reply
probably not doing either though

KarmaKitten

HSC
I want to do 1002.Though my ecop1001 tutor has said he maybe doing ecop1003. He is brilliant, so I may follow him. I will wait and see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)