Ecosystem at risk (1 Viewer)

bessssy

I have a geo assesment, due in a couple of weeks it is on
an ecosystem at risk that is or has been subject to traditional indigenous management practises in either Australia or New Zealand.

If anyone has any suggestions of a particular ecosystem that would have alot of information to write a 1000 word report or if you know of any sites that could helpe, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Umm, don't have alot of ideas, but perhaps the Aboriginal management of Arnhem Land (which is currently managed/owned by them) in the Northern Territory. Ecosystems within Arhnem Land would include intertidal wetlands(mangroves) and freshwater wetlands (Kakadu National Park).
Thats the only thing that comes to mind atm, but yeah it will be tough trying to get 1000 words unless you get some very detailed info.
If you do a search on 'Aboriginal management of the environment' or something similar, you might be able to find some quite detailed info..

good luck :) ...

addict

'Specal' Member
HSC
what i thought of straight away was coral reefs, specifically the GBR cos we did an extensive case study on it last term. that would be fantastic only IF you gotta compare traditional management practices to contemporary and the effectiveness etc...cos otherwise you wouldn't get enought info on that to make 1000 words...

if you decide to use this one, let me know n i'll dig up some stuf for you if you want...i remember there being a number of website that were quite good, partic. for the contemp practices, but the trad can often be gotten from your general knowledge of the aboriginies...taking only what they need, "closed" hunting seasons etc...

bessssy

Thanks guys for that information, addict person - can you possible give me some websites of the GBR - Ill think ill research alittle into both to start off with. Thankyou sooo much for you help!

addict

'Specal' Member
HSC
sure, actually here are my very quick short extreamly revised summary of management practices from my assess last term

Traditional
-only take what need
-closed seasons on species
-tribes stay only in certain areas
-take responsiblitiy for organisms

Contemporary
-co-management with aboriginies
-govt. funding, legislation
-diff. govt. and non-govt. agencies
GBRMPA
25yr plan
-zoning - limits on activities in areas (4.6% full protection)
-development of World Heritage

even if that makes no sense whatever it may give you an idea of the sorts of things to look for, even if you dont end up doing this.
the gbrmpa (great barrier reef marine park authority) had a very helpful site from memory and i think one of the unis has a good section on it. a lot of the notes we got for it was out of two of the hsc textbooks...so yeah, good luck. just ask if you want any more help and ill do my best

malkin86

HSC
also

- passing down knowledge of ecosystem (and how to manage) through traditions and oral history -eg. replant part of a tuber = more tubers next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)