Eddy Currents on a Copper Ring (1 Viewer)

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
So the answer is C on paper but I keep feeling as if it's B. I was under the impression it doesn't need to be a closed circuit for there to be an induced Eddy Current just a surface for the electrons to move on.

Would appreciate if someone explained why B isn't right.

Attachments

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
This is a case of what I like to call "HSC SEZ"

HSC SEZ that there must be a closed loop for 'eddy currents' to 'flow', therefore as soon as a slit goes the full length of the ring, no eddy currents can flow, no induced magnetic field, no opposition to motion, therefore C is the answer as the only one which will experience a braking force is the solid copper ring.

IN REALITY, B occurs

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC

HSC SEZ that there must be a closed loop for 'eddy currents' to 'flow', therefore as soon as a slit goes the full length of the ring, no eddy currents can flow, no induced magnetic field, no opposition to motion, therefore C is the answer as the only one which will experience a braking force is the solid copper ring.

IN REALITY, B occurs
Thanks for the reply!

mreditor16

HSC

IN REALITY, B occurs
so what do we put if it comes in hsc? are you telling me that in that year, they marked B wrong? :/

avi888

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah that was a fuck up year, they were like yeah its right but fuck physics

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Yep, B is wrong for HSC sake. HSC wants us to say that for eddy currents to flow, there MUST be a closed loop for it to flow through :(
Are there more "HSC SEZ" things we should look out for?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)