educating rita and bend it like beckham.. (1 Viewer)

pinklady1

HSC
i have some connections between Educating Rita and Bend it Like Beckham but i need more! if anyone can help me... please! anything will do... i just need connections between the both of them
thank you

elsapelle

HSC
I swear you're from my school lol...
Well this is just some stuff off the top of my head;
  • Both Rita & Jesminder are struggling with their backgrounds/ culture[both combinaton of past and present] to try and break out of the stereotypes they are moulded too eg. Rita as a working class woman, as a wife etc and Jesminder as a young indian woman (though as you see in the movie there's expectations from her family and the other indian girls of the neighbourhood - but she's too 'tomboyish')
  • Both have tried to be the expectations of their families & friends in the past where [they didn't exactly 'fail' but...] it wasn't the right path for them, where ultimately both decide the need for change in their life.
  • I'm sure you've got all the similarities with Rita & Jesminder anyway... so looking at say, Frank & Jesminders dad/the coach *I forget the names* - all realise life is about living, where Rita & Jesminder act as a catalyst for change in theire lives eg. Frank ends up deciding on the sabbatical leave from work to go to Australia where we see him changed in that he lets Rita cut his hair, he throws away the drink etc... As for Jesminder's Dad who's suffered racism in the past, in the end he finally accepts his daughters decisions [mind you he was pretty good to begin with] and we see him taking up cricket again in the final scene. As for the coach he mends things with his father and takes a chance with Jesminder!
  • blah blah blah both Rita & Jesminder are determined and driven to continue with their 'education' as such [of both the english language & soccer].
  • In the end both have discovered parts about themselves and the different 'worlds' surrounding them. From this newfound discovery they're both able to move onwards or upward in the world [*ahem* the song move on up by Curtis Mayfield is played at the end of BILB]
Hope this helped in some kind of way! Ciao :)

pinklady1

HSC
ah thats great help... thank you so much!
haha what school do u go to? i wouldnt be suprised if we go to the same place lol...

elsapelle

HSC
heya!
Yeh we just finished watching Bend it Like Beckham just before... and were comparing stuff in class for an essay but yeh.. I go to Loreto.. you? :)

browneye

HSC
I also thank ytou so much.!!
im doing these exact texts and you just summed everything up for me amazingly :D
thank you!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)