Education Degree - where else can it take you? (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
besides teaching in a school, i mean. I was thinking about this the other day. I'm doing the BEd/BA (secondary education)...and I came to the realisation that even though yes, I want to teach, I don't think that I want to be doing it forever. I want to be able to branch out and do other things as well. So basically my question is what else can you do with a combined Education degree? Obviously it's geared to produce teachers, but Education and Arts are fairly broad fields, there must be other things you can do. I'm not exactly sure what they are. Ideas?

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Depends what you major in under Arts I guess. I can't speak for the USyd edu degree (which is better) but at UNSW in the later years of the degree you seem very locked into education subjects and it doesn't seem like an ideal degree if you want to do other things.

I think if you want a more flexible degree it might be better to do just straight Arts and then a Dip.Ed.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
You want to pick your arts subjects to branch out. A more language geared direcction, say two languages, will allow you to work overseas as translators, tutors, etc. Also, though I don't like psychology, counselling is a possibility. You can also think aout possiilities of social work which education will complement.
I don't think it's really good to do an BA -> Dip. Ed, depending on the qualifications required of teachers in a few years go. With your education degree you will get the practicals work earlier so that you have a better idea what it's like to be a secondary teacher. Your fate will depend on the school you get to work at. Kudos if you stick with it.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Arts is a "liberal education".

Education is a professional degree for teaching.

You can do whatever you want. Arts will get you more places than education imo if you go onto a higher degree.

Last edited:

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
I heard that the Australian Secret Service is on the look out for education graduates.

44Ronin

HSC
Teach ESL and you can jet set around the world.

el gwapo

HSC
44Ronin said:
Teach ESL and you can jet set around the world.
I had that exact idea in my mind when I decided to choose BEd/BArts (Sec: Humanities)

So when exactly do you get to do TESOL, I read it was somewhere down the line, not in the first years.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
el gwapo said:
I had that exact idea in my mind when I decided to choose BEd/BArts (Sec: Humanities)

So when exactly do you get to do TESOL, I read it was somewhere down the line, not in the first years.
5th year, i think.

there's an elective about teaching english overseas that i'm looking at doing then.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
TESOL's in 5th.

Apparently you can work in museums, if you choose like the right subjects during your art classes.
E.g. The museum is showcasing WW2 and you studied modern history during uni.

I think. :confused: I remember reading it somewhere.

44Ronin

HSC
jayadore said:
TESOL's in 5th.

Apparently you can work in museums, if you choose like the right subjects during your art classes.
E.g. The museum is showcasing WW2 and you studied modern history during uni.

I think. :confused: I remember reading it somewhere.
I might consider a masters in Museum Studies after my undgrad studies.

If you do education/arts it's basically everything an arts degree can get you (although arts doesn't provide as much opportunity as other degrees)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)