• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

education for the rich only? (1 Viewer)

S

Shuter

braindrainedAsh said:
Scholarships
Youth Allowance
Rent Assistance

Why do I get none of these and instead am working 3 jobs? I am poor, had to move from home, hence uni is bloody expensive. Bloody Liberal government!
Probably becuase you didn't look into them.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Ash, I understand why you're not currently getting YA and RA, but with your UAI surely you could have got a scholarship?

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
doe said:
seems to me uni is more and more only becoming an option for those whose parents can provide free room and board, or those who can work enough hours to support themselves to the detriment of their studies.

I live with my parents, pay board, am paying off a car loan AND working 20-25 hours/week (and im not flipping burgers.. im a registered carer for kids with disabilities..so its bloody hard work)

AND IM SURVIVING!!

learn to deal with it and move on

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
There were no scholarships at UTS for humanities students. And trust me, I looked in to every possible avenue.

Anyway, it's only like a month until I can get YA now, and then I might be able to get a commonwealth learning scholarship, so my financial woes will lessen considerably.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Kind of late (article appeared a few days ago), but oh well.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,12871350%5E12332,00.html
Uni costs among world's highest
Brendan O'Keefe and Louise Perry
April 16, 2005

UNIVERSITY study in Australia is among the most expensive in the world.

Australia came in 12th, just above the US in a 15-country survey that ranked national tertiary education systems according to their affordability.

Australian university students must find an average $14,247 a year to meet education and living costs, making Australia the fourth most expensive place to study, found the US and Canada based Educational Policy Institute.

On a total affordability ranking, the net cost is equivalent to 31.5 per cent of GDP per capita.

The EPI said the rankings of Australia, Canada (11th) and the US (13th) were offset by relatively high student aid and better national incomes. The average Australian government grant would knock $1858 off that cost.

In The Netherlands, grants are universal, meaning all students receive government help, at an average of $5361.

The US Government pays students an average of $5437 but the highest grants go to students from poor backgrounds.

Monash University higher education expert Simon Marginson said the survey was "grounded and transparent".

"It is likely that (Australia's position) has worsened in 2005, with the rises in HECS and the spread of full fees, though this has been partly balanced by the raising of the HECS/Fee-help repayment threshold to $35,000," he said.

The affordability survey ranks nations according to education costs, living costs, out-of-pocket expenses and the availability and size of government grants, tax breaks and loans.

It found that raw education costs, for tuition and ancillary fees and the cost of books and other study materials, totalled $5170 a year for students in Australia.

The most expensive was the US, where education costs were $12,972 a year. Japan was close behind at $11,140.

Students in Finland shell out just $367 a year.

Australia is also the third most expensive country for living costs.

Students have to find $9077 to live in Australia. Britain ($11,618) and New Zealand ($10,193) are the only surveyed countries more expensive.

The Flemish part of Belgium is cheapest, at $5598.

doe

HSC
N/A
thanks generator

i would be really interested to see what the overall cost of a degree was 10 and 20 years ago.

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
sometimes i think poor people get it easier!

i think the middle class really miss out in regards to uni..

poor can get help from government

middle JUST earn too much $, therefore unable to get money from govt.

rich...should pay their own way anyway

doe

HSC
N/A
yep

i went through a period of living in my car. my parents made too much money for me to get any allowance. hello back seat.

i dont think the rich should pay their own way (they pay tax as well), the government should treat all students equally, with assistance to those who need it.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Im just pissed off at the fact that "baby boomer" fucks were the ones who got hand fed and free everything, now want us to pay for their fucking retirement as well.

I say we revolt and cull the lot of them.

pete_mate

HSC
how does one get a youth allowance? i want one

what happens if your lower-middle class, you get nothing,

$300 week allowance is heaps! why dont you go live in a place for $200 then and then youll be fine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)