edutest (1 Viewer)

aaliya

HSC
BAULKO or NSGHS or JR or SGHS edutest 2024 discussion of tips, advice etc for yr 8 n yr 9 students

letsgetit@thehsc

HSC
not rlly, js practice stuff from the year advance and more of the harder stuff. practice discursive and persuasives.

aaliya

HSC
@blueberrymilkbread, @iloveeggs, @Secretive fish, @Sethio, @Yes99 can u please help me out on how to prepare for Baulko yr 8 or advance for each section in detail like what resources, what to do n not, tips and tricks on time n accuracy etc, pls help me out and what to resources to use asap today or tmr, like anything to help me secure a seat of baulko as a favour to me

iloveeggs

HSC
i didn't apply for or get into baulko so i can't speak for that. also i wrote edutest ages ago in yr 9 for yr10 entry and i was a competitive candidate (got a first round interview and then i decided to drop out of the waitlist so idk what realistically would have happened but i was 1st or 2nd reserve)

given that info, i used a site called notesedu for online exams which helped when i did hast, and i noticed it helped for edutest too. ifor me i didn't find the questions in edutest themself that hard it is only the time limit that was hard. also any questions that i did find hard/unusual i took screenshots of it and wrote like a detailed solution/strategy that i could use to approach the question. i don't have access to these screenshots but yeah you guys should do this when you prepare.

for writing i practiced using yr6 selective prompts (the prompt i got on exam day was like a phot of a dark brick tunnel and we had to write an imaginative, so yeah kind of similar to selective). aim to finish with time to spare so you can check over your work and things like that. based on the rank i got and the thing i remember writing, they usually care more about the actual content of your writing as opposed to the concept/plot. so you could write a story with a meh premise but a really good usage of literary techniques etc. which will get you far

i can't lie i find verbal reasoning really easy and it was def one of my strengths, not that i did any special prep for it, i just used notesedu and spammed exams.

for abstract reasoning its almost always about pattern recognition. there are tons and tons of other exams from all over the world that uses like some version of abstract reasoning and for that reason there are tons of videos and resources on yt etc. that teach you strategies to approach the question. when i did selective there was a similar section called general ability, and so you can use old selective resources in relation to that, which can potentially help. spam question papers and form strategies on how to approach question

for maths again i just spammed questions. this section is especially time restricted and the question are not that hard. spam questions and when you get better and better try restricting your time limit

reading comprehension requires the ability to skim effectively and read quickly. if you're a reader this usually comes easy to you, but if you aren't its really worth practicing imo. also i really recommend that if you get a text that you have to use for multiple questions, read the question first. somethimes you dont have to read the whole thing properly as long as you get the gist. the question will also indicate what you need to focus on if you do need to read it and this will make the process quicker.

hope that helps. ulitmately it does come down to spamming practise exams. always do them in timed conditions, dont get used to doing them normally bc when you consistently work under timed conditions you will be more aware of what is consuming your time in an exam and do better next time.

i used notesedu but you should def ask someone that did the test more recently for more up to date advice

Last edited:

mummum

HSC
N/A
i didn't apply for or get into baulko so i can't speak for that. also i wrote edutest ages ago in yr 9 for yr10 entry and i was a competitive candidate (got a first round interview and then i decided to drop out of the waitlist so idk what realistically would have happened but i was 1st or 2nd reserve)

given that info, i used a site called notesedu for online exams which helped when i did hast, and i noticed it helped for edutest too. ifor me i didn't find the questions in edutest themself that hard it is only the time limit that was hard. also any questions that i did find hard/unusual i took screenshots of it and wrote like a detailed solution/strategy that i could use to approach the question. i don't have access to these screenshots but yeah you guys should do this when you prepare.

for writing i practiced using yr6 selective prompts (the prompt i got on exam day was like a phot of a dark brick tunnel and we had to write an imaginative, so yeah kind of similar to selective). aim to finish with time to spare so you can check over your work and things like that. based on the rank i got and the thing i remember writing, they usually care more about the actual content of your writing as opposed to the concept/plot. so you could write a story with a meh premise but a really good usage of literary techniques etc. which will get you far

i can't lie i find verbal reasoning really easy and it was def one of my strengths, not that i did any special prep for it, i just used notesedu and spammed exams.

for abstract reasoning its almost always about pattern recognition. there are tons and tons of other exams from all over the world that uses like some version of abstract reasoning and for that reason there are tons of videos and resources on yt etc. that teach you strategies to apporach the question. when i did selective it was called general ability, which helped loads. spam question papers and form strategies on how to approach question

for maths again i just spammed questions. this section is especially time restricted and the question are not that hard. spam questions and when you get better and better try restricting your time limit

reading comprehension requires the ability to skim effectively and read quickly. if you're a reader this usually comes easy to you, but if you aren't its really worth practicing imo. also i really recommend that if you get a text that you have to use for multiple questions, read the question first. somethimes you dont have to read the whole thing properly as long as you get the gist. the question will also indicate what you need to focus on if you do need to read it and this will make the process quicker.

hope that helps. ulitmately it does come down to spamming practise exams. always do them in timed conditions, dont get used to doing them normally bc when you consistently work under timed conditions you will be more aware of what is consuming your time in an exam and do better next time.

i used notesedu but you should def ask someone that did the test more recently for more up to date advice
Hello, do you suggest to purchase EDUtest official past papers? If I purchase 3 sets from them, I can choose one set Year 8 level, one at year 9 level. Can I? Do you have any tips for Year 8 entry? Haven't done any preparation yet, so not sure what should I do. I did not have GA, so pattern is something needs to also practised. Help me.

iloveeggs

HSC
Hello, do you suggest to purchase EDUtest official past papers? If I purchase 3 sets from them, I can choose one set Year 8 level, one at year 9 level. Can I? Do you have any tips for Year 8 entry? Haven't done any preparation yet, so not sure what should I do. I did not have GA, so pattern is something needs to also practised. Help me.
i personally found that the ones they sold were way too easy and not that relevant back when i did them. i also bought papers that were above my grade level and still found them easy. then again i did the edutest years ago so i dont reccommend you listen to my advice about which materials are relevant bc my preparation and opinions might not be that relevant anymore.

dw abt not knowing what GA is, just focus on abstract reasoning. its mainly comprised of logical problems and pattern recognition style questions, which unfortunately come with hard practice & developing strategies to approach the problem that make sense to you personally. some ppl go to tutoring for it, i didnt and im not sure if it helps. like i said its about pattern recognition, and to recognise patterns you need to do a bunch of questions. find some online test banks (notesedu helped me personally but i dont know if its still relevant) and just spam the questions. sometimes there are online videos and tutorials on how to do certain questions, and since a lot of the questions are similar you can use these to develop strategies. apart from that idk how to help

iloveeggs

HSC
hey guys i really appreciate that you asked for my help but i really don't think i have much more to add about this topic. i did edutest and hast very long ago and im not sure how relevant my advice is. iso far what i have said is unspecific bc if i say smth specific and it turns out to be wrong or bad for applicants ill end up wrecking ppl's chances at getting into the schools they want .my advice and opinions still stand but take them with a grain of salt.

also i wont be watching this thread anymore so mention me if there is anything else you want from me, ONLY if its something i haven't mentioned and you feel like im the person to ask. otherwise, good luck everyone!

letsgetit@thehsc

HSC
@mummum idk. could be anything, practice random topics that make sense and improve vocab. use chatgpt for topics. remember structure for both discursive and creative

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)