Effective human rights issue (1 Viewer)

2late

I was just going through a sample HSC style paper and one of the Human Rights questions was:

"Refer to a particular contemporary human rights issue and explain the extent to which legal measures, both domestic and international, are effective in addressing these issues" (5 marks)

What are the chances of getting a Q like that in the HSC? Because I haven't been foccusing on issues which have been addressed. My teacher has instead told us to research an issue which needs to be addressed.

Any suggestions for possible answers???

mememe

If it NEEDS to be addressed then you talk about how legal measures have only been effective in addressing your issue to a very limited extent, and much more needs to be done. What issue do u have? There would have to be SOME legal measures in place, even if they are limited and not effective

2late

I've seperated my issues into an international and a domestic issue. My international issue is the abuses of rights of children in Uganda and i'm using the detention centres as my Australian issue.

I don't think there are any legal measures in place. Apart from the international laws which aren't followed?

mememe

legal measures for uganda - i think you can include things like United nations conventions, so use the International convention on the rights of the child but conclude it is not enforceable therefore it is not effective.

You can use the same thing for the detention centres, as well as the Covention on the rights of refugees.

2late

So even thought the question says how EFFECTIVE the measures have been in addressing the issue, i should say how the measures are ineffective relating to my issue?

And which issue would be more appropriate to answer the question? The international issue or the domestic one?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah its actually better to have something that hasn't been addressed as fully as is required to achieve justice. Have something that the UN has addressed in a treaty but that not all countries have signed/ratified so you can bring up the issue of non-compliance. Also explain what laws in the country cover it, and if none exist at all, emphasise this fact and relate it to the domestic legal system being non-respondent.

mememe

when they ask "how effective" something is, you have to make a judgement, which involves weighing up the good and the bad. You dont have to agree it IS effective, you can say it is ineffective too. usually it is best to take a balanced approach and admit there is still a lot more to be done.

Either issue is appropriate, and in the real HSC exam just use the one that you find is easier/fits the question best

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Well it could be ... kind of.

Nick Toohen in 1992 argued that Tasmania was breaching Article 12 (from my hazy memory) from UDHR (privacy issues) for having legislation that discriminated against his homosexuality - claiming that the Tasmanian government were breaching the right to let him do what he bleedin' well wanted with who in bleedin' well wanted in his own personal and private time and life.

So it could be viewed like that ... but that's a specific case. And I suppose anti-discrimination legislation/affirmative action can tie in with say the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination or Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women ... but I dont think there's any convention on General Discrimination, so same-sex would be excluded.

And this wasn't very useful was it?

My advice: don't really use samesex ... Unless you want to use Toohens privacy issue with UDHR; which actually isn't a samesex issue. I think I'm doing Child Sex Tourism like half the state.

Golani

definately go for a conservative classic issue like slavery, child labour, genocide etc...

kelv

Originally posted by 2late
I was just going through a sample HSC style paper and one of the Human Rights questions was:

"Refer to a particular contemporary human rights issue and explain the extent to which legal measures, both domestic and international, are effective in addressing these issues" (5 marks)

What are the chances of getting a Q like that in the HSC? Because I haven't been foccusing on issues which have been addressed. My teacher has instead told us to research an issue which needs to be addressed.

Any suggestions for possible answers???
this is my trial question

2late

Trial question??

It came out of the Macquarie HSC Legal Studies text book. It was a HSC style examination paper.

kimmy5

I had that question in my half yearly exam and got 5/5

i did child sex labour and australia's response.
If you use the macmillian textbook, it should be at the end of the human rights chapter.

young_gurl

anyone got current issues from the media about human rights?? Like the nigerian women that was gunna get stonned to death..any others dealing with human rightS?

Ringo

Originally posted by Nupil
Well it could be ... kind of.

Nick Toohen in 1992 argued that Tasmania was breaching Article 12 (from my hazy memory) from UDHR (privacy issues) for having legislation that discriminated against his homosexuality - claiming that the Tasmanian government were breaching the right to let him do what he bleedin' well wanted with who in bleedin' well wanted in his own personal and private time and life.

So it could be viewed like that ... but that's a specific case. And I suppose anti-discrimination legislation/affirmative action can tie in with say the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination or Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women ... but I dont think there's any convention on General Discrimination, so same-sex would be excluded.

And this wasn't very useful was it?

My advice: don't really use samesex ... Unless you want to use Toohens privacy issue with UDHR; which actually isn't a samesex issue. I think I'm doing Child Sex Tourism like half the state.
must be hazy - his name was 'Toonen' and he was in breach of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR)

Nupil

HSC
N/A
That's strange because I used that example/him for breach of Article 12 of UDHR. You're right about the guys name though, very hazy. Thanks for that clear up though! It's cool when someone corrects you and you have to actually think about what you've learnt (damn awful thing that)

But I know you're right about the ICCPR - was it art 5 of the optional protocol? ... Just wish that my school didn't decide to correct me on that, thanks!!

.. though I'm still not going to be using him; that much I know.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)