Effectiveness of the legal system for family. (1 Viewer)

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs

invading your mind
I'm leaving now to go find myself. If I should ret
HSC
I'm having trouble with writing up a well structured essay for the 2001 hsc question for Family.

the essay question is:

Evaluate the effectiveness of the legal system in responding to changing community values in terms of achieving justice for family members.

So, what are some of the main issues/points we should really talk about in this essay?

a few ideas would be nice:)
thnx.

LynH1326

HSC
The new Family laws regarding break-up of families. Saying that both parents have equal say and equal participation with children.
How has the system not worked before?
-Unfair to male parent in some cases
-Child support payments confusing/unfair/how is this calculated?
-Dispute resoultion in court costs lots of money. Better ways of resolving break-ups?
-How is the "best for the children" idea decided/enforced
-Rates of divorce in last 20 years in Australia. Is there a trend?

Give that a research. Always go back and ask your teacher or any other social science teacher, and show them your findings. They can be a very invaluable resource too.

Mc_Meaney

Banned
HSC
new reforms to FLA mean that when in court to settle property etc, they start at 50-50 and work from there. This wasnt always the case before

removal of unita caro which subsiquently outlawed intermarital rape

acceptance of BwS as a partial defence in court.

Excalibre

HSC
You can also reference the recognition of alternative relationships such as de facto couples and same sex relationships - because through changing social values these members are now achieving justice through the De Facto Relationship Act and Property (Relationship) Act.

Also mention the circumstances in which the criminal justice system intervenes in private family matters - through violence and child neglect or abuse.

Talk about Agency - and where a man and women can now sue each other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)