• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Effects externals have on ATAR (1 Viewer)

jakeembrey

HSC
I've heard so many things about it, such as whatever your ranked after the trials you'll get that mark respectively e.g. ranked 50th get the 50th best mark.
But I'm so unsure about it all, so how does it really work? If my ranks are average but I ace my externals will this benefit greatly (towards achieving a high ATAR)

jpalin

HSC
I'm pretty sure this is how it works. You just want to make sure you have the best ranking at your school before the HSC exams so in your Trial exams. After the trial exams you want to make sure all your school friends do well so that their marks are pushed to the maximum.

D94

HSC
N/A
I explained it here: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=304337&p=6351650&viewfull=1#post6351650

The link enoilgam provided is useful as well.

As for ATAR, that's a different calculation. ATAR considers you raw HSC exam mark + your moderated assessment mark. Raw HSC exam mark = performance in state; Moderated assessment mark = rank in state. Then this gets put into a long and elaborate set of aligning calculations to determine your overall aggregate (out of 500) and then the first 50 or so get 99.95, next 50 get 99.90 etc.

So externals are very important, since they are part of your assessment mark calculations and the ATAR calculations. But this is nothing you need to worry about - just do your best in school and the HSC exams.

Shadowless

HSC
I'm pretty sure this is how it works. You just want to make sure you have the best ranking at your school before the HSC exams so in your Trial exams. After the trial exams you want to make sure all your school friends do well so that their marks are pushed to the maximum.
+1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)