Effects of school ranking? (1 Viewer)

jpcg

HSC
Does your school ranking the year before your HSC effect your scaling? because that's what i've heard...

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Whoever told you that is either a liar or misinformed. Neither your school ranking or your own subject rankings from last year will have any effect on your final HSC marks. They may give you a general idea of where everyone will wash up, but in no way will they impact on your marks. Rank-wise, it's only your overall rank for the HSC year (Term 4, Year 11 to Term 3, Year 12) that counts, and it counts for 50% of your final mark, so make sure you do your best to keep it high. :)

Scaling is calculated by comparing how everyone who does a particular subject achieves in all their other ones. For example, scaling for students doing Physics is calculated by looking at how well those students did in all their other subjects. Scaling uses the average of your raw examination and assessment marks, with no aligning taking place.

In short, nothing from Year 11 carries over.

I_F

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

I think she means the school rank before the you do the HSC, as in this year we are 2006 and does 2005 school ranks affect our scaling.

It doesn't affect the scaling of the marks, but your UAI it may.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
jpcg said:
Does your school ranking the year before your HSC effect your scaling? because that's what i've heard...
Absolutely not. Nothing in year 11 is counted towards HSC.

jpcg

HSC
pLuvia said:
I think she means the school rank before the you do the HSC, as in this year we are 2006 and does 2005 school ranks affect our scaling.

It doesn't affect the scaling of the marks, but your UAI it may.

yeah i kinda meant what that says (above) but thanks for the other info guys...what do you mean it might effect the UAI? and if it effects UAI wouldn't it therefore affect the scaling?

Last edited:

jpcg

HSC
insert-username said:
Also, ranks don't have anything to do with scaling. Scaling is calculated by comparing how everyone who does a particular subject achieves in all their other ones. For example, scaling for students doing Physics is calculated by looking at how well those students did in all their other subjects. No rank involved, as scaling uses raw marks and no fiddling aligning.

I_F

are you saying they look at all your subjects? i thought they looked at individual subjects because how can they have time to look and compare all of everyone's subjects?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
They're very busy boys down at the Technical Committe on Scaling. It's a general look, but that's how they decide to scale subjects. Subjects that scale upwards are generally those taken by academically talented students who do well in their other subjects as well.

I_F

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Doesn't school rank in your hsc year affect your UAI? If your whole year does well as a whole and your school gets ranked say 14th, then your UAI would be higher than if you went to a lower ranking school and got the same marks. Someone confirm this with me.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
The only thing it will affexct is your mindset. If your school is fuckin smart and canes it, theres nothing stopping you guyys from coming 1st and all, and hence showing that last years rank will do jack all to your mark.

ie. No.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)