Egyptian Revolution (1 Viewer)

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
Re: What do you think of the current revolution in Egypt?

Nope, all it takes nowadays is a bigot, much alike yourself, to artificially label the most part of a population as 'supporters of harsh punishment' as the report likes to describe it.
Don't be a cunt he has a point

HSC

Nope, all it takes nowadays is a bigot, much alike yourself, to artificially label the most part of a population as 'supporters of harsh punishment' as the report likes to describe it.
lol what the fuck

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A

The sad thing is that for all the trolling and idiots in this thread, the discussion was probably more mature and sophisticated then whatever they said on Qanda last night(I didn't bother, watched GNW instead)
yeah but catherine deveny <3

ibbi00

HSC

From the pdf file provided in this thread:
Sample size interviewed in Egypt was 1,000
Sample size interviewed in Jordan was 1,000
Egypt population 83 million. i.e. 0.0012% of the population interviewed.
Jordan population 6 million. i.e. 0.0166% of the population interviewed.
Given the large difference in the percentage of the populations interviewed, both countries were still compared in the SAME table about their views on harsh punishment.
Please explain how the statistics provided in page one of this thread are remotely considered reliable and why this organisation should be taken seriously.

EDIT: zombie omie jay, please go back to the non-school section where your pathetic trolling skills are more appreciated.
It really doesn't take three whole posts to get one point across.

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC

yeah but catherine deveny <3
You must be joking, the twittersphere exploded with vitriol when it was announced she's on. She offends christians, annoys Liberals and embarrasses progressives, she is good for absolutely nothing. I saw "why god is bullshit" last year, never have i been so endeared to Hitchens in my life.

HSC

Given the large difference in the percentage of the populations interviewed, both countries were still compared in the SAME table about their views on harsh punishment.
Please explain how the statistics provided in page one of this thread are remotely considered reliable and why this organisation should be taken seriously.

EDIT: zombie omie jay, please go back to the non-school section where your pathetic trolling skills are more appreciated.
shit son i didnt realise you were a statistician!~

(you arent though)

ibbi00

HSC

You don't need to be a statistician to realise that 0.0012% of a population is not representative of its opinion.
Common sense.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A

You don't need to be a statistician to realise that 0.0012% of a population is not representative of its opinion.
Common sense.

*facepalm*

It's not like these things have margins of error or statisticians go to a huge length to pull valid statistics from intelligently selected samples.

Guess we'll have to ignore all election polling data (which tends to be pretty accurate) and other types of polling data because you're butthurt about one survey.

Fucking hell we're arguing about the validity of the statistical method, not the data itself.

Contain yourself.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

The difference in margin of error between those two samples is almost insignificant, it's 3.1% for both within a 95% confidence interval. 1,000 people allows you to make valid inference about just about any population, if it's carefully selected.

Regards,
A Qualified Statistician

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Common sense.
Clearly you know nothing about statistics.

ibbi00

HSC

The difference in margin of error between those two samples is almost insignificant, it's 3.1% for both within a 95% confidence interval. 1,000 people allows you to make valid inference about just about any population, if it's carefully selected.

Regards,
A Qualified Statistician
Well then you can't exactly take these results for granted. I'd imagine it would be an immensely difficult task to 'carefully select' individuals give the large population.

Even then, you can't deny an entire population democracy based on a poll.

Last edited:

Rothbard

HSC
N/A

Well then you can't exactly take these results for granted. I'd imagine it would be an immensly difficult task to 'carefully select' individuals give the large population.
*facepalm*

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Well then you can't exactly take these results for granted. I'd imagine it would be an immensely difficult task to 'carefully select' individuals give the large population.

Even then, you can't deny an entire population democracy based on a poll.
That's not what I was arguing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawman

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)