Einstein and the Photoelectric Effect (1 Viewer)

Xtrinsic_Psycho

"Outline Einstein's explanation of the photoelectric effect" [5 Marks]

can some1 plz help me out with this question? I can never seem to get full marks for this question...
can anyone first explain to me Einstein's contribution to the photoelectric effect and then explain what would be the general requirement for full marks in this question?

thx in advance

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
having a punt at the mark spread

- talk about einstein's generalisation of plancks theory to light... ie light can be quantised through discrete packets of photons (~1 mark (estimate))

- describe properties of photons, eg. relations with frequencies, intensity(amplitude) (~1maks)

- link above properties with observations concerning photoelectric effect
(eg. assumptions(1 mark), why electrons are released based on frequency of light (not intensity) (1 mark), behaviour of ejected electrons (1 mark), ) and another mark mixed in somewhere

Xtrinsic_Psycho

hey thx Constip8edSkunk =)
At least now i have a starting block to work on
Anyone other guys that can help me with that question?

joshhopp

HSC
to get full marks youd really need to discuss threshhold frequency, work function, and the max kinetic energy of the photoelectron. ie, electrons are only emitted if the threshhold frequency is satisfied, and the energy of the photoelectrons is given by E = hf = workfunction + kineticenergy

joshhopp

HSC
to get full marks youd really need to discuss threshhold frequency, work function, and the max kinetic energy of the photoelectron. ie, electrons are only emitted if the threshhold frequency is satisfied, and the energy of the photoelectrons is given by E = hf = workfunction + kineticenergy

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
basically comes down to E = hf - W
hf must be greater then W to produce any energy
since h is a constant f is the value that must be higher then W

this is the threshold frequency

thats pretty much it :)

rumour

HSC
I had the same question in my trial, but I didn't get full marks :(

Would putting the graph in be a good idea?

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
yes, graphs are always useful, it can dramatically reduse the verbosity of your explaination

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I was never able to separate einstein's explanation of the photoelectric effect with the black body effect, it's basically the same concept - energy must be absorbed and distributed in packets.

Now to expand that into an 8 mark exam response is the hard part, I used to be able to do it...

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
always use equations when you can, eg question about torque, write down the equation and explain everything after.

Also, my teacher told me that if the question says 'explain' then you should try draw a diagram - eg for how Thompson measured the charge/mass ratio of an electron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)