• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Electrical conductivity of acids (1 Viewer)

JAZZAY

HSC
I came past a question in a trial paper that asks to explain why/how electrical conductivity of acids could be measured. I know that the acids ionise in solution to form H+ ions and corresponding anions but im having trouble relating it to electrical conductivity...how do they conduct electricty? I hope that someone can clear this up for me. Thanks.

helper

HSC
N/A
The ions conduct electricity. The conductivity is proportional to the concentration, so the conductivity is good for monitoring the rate of reaction or can be used to calculate the concentration with a calibrated conductivity probe and known solution.

Paroissien

HSC
But I think they are asking why ions conduct electricity. Which I can't answer, they just do

helper

HSC
N/A
Ions are charged particles which are free to move, when dissolved in water or other polar solutions or as liquids.
When an electric potential is applied there will be an electrostatic force applied to the ions that will result in them moving towards either a higher or lower potential based on their charge, resulting in a movement of charge, which is an electric current.
Physics not chemistry.

A conductivity probe applies a small potential difference and measure the conductivity based on this.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
It forms an electrolytic cell.

Cations go towards the cathode and absorb electrons released. Anions go towards the anode and give off electrons, allowing the effective flow of electrons.

And water will serve as both if the voltage is high enough.

Thats what I think happens. Although I don't know why Sodium Fluoride would increase conductivity because water will break apart before it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)