electrical engineering and computer science (1 Viewer)

liamkk112

HSC
Just wait till you do machine learning electives 💀💀💀
yes machine learning / ai has a lottt of math but in general ee has much more math than compsci, in ee you need to know multivariable calculus, complex analysis (or at least concepts from it), vector calculus, laplace transforms, etc. in compsci you mostly use discrete math related things and that’s about it, although some classes like machine learning are an exception to this, 100% some areas of compsci are math heavy but for most of undergrad ee just has much much more math

Pipi108

HSC
N/A
yes machine learning / ai has a lottt of math but in general ee has much more math than compsci, in ee you need to know multivariable calculus, complex analysis (or at least concepts from it), vector calculus, laplace transforms, etc. in compsci you mostly use discrete math related things and that’s about it, although some classes like machine learning are an exception to this, 100% some areas of compsci are math heavy but for most of undergrad ee just has much much more math
Look ive done the double, I just don't think its fair to expect to go into compsci thinking it's not maths heavy, sure you can get through the degree if you pick your units to specifically avoid maths, but the higher year electives do involve a lot of work. Take machine learning's concept of transformers as an example, in just that topic along you already cover concepts in linear algebra, fourier transforms, and real analysis. Networking itself already includes a whole different field of maths and the expectation that compsci is "just mostly" discrete is misleading. I'm assuming youre in either the double degree or either comp or elec and seeing you graduated 2023, i'm sure youre just mostly not exposed to most of it yet, but i think it's overall best to be realistic with the workload a future student might expect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)