Electrical Engineering or Software Engineering/Computer Science (1 Viewer)

Flop21

HSC
By you adding that edit, you're just confirming you think there's some massive difference between the two degrees AT UNSW. I posted your reply somewhere else to get some feedback from a bunch of experienced people (because 1. I don't know what you're on about, and 2. what your saying kind of impacts me since I'm doing comp sci not seng).

https://www.reddit.com/r/computersc...omeone_clarify_what_this_guy_is_saying_about/

While this might depend on the particular school to an extent, I don't agree at all. The authors premise seems to be that if a person takes a cs degree, they're incapable of learning how to work in a team or develop software effectively or manage time. While it might be true that seng focused majors have a bit of leg up in real world software development, most of these skills are learned while working on large projects in industry or life in general, and not in the academic setting. One thing my seng classes taught me is that there's usually not a black and white answer to things, and best practices vary across industry.
Secondly, Cs majors are also usually required to take seng classes anyway (and vice versa) so the whole argument is somewhat moot.
Thirdly, the author calls into question the coding ability of a cs major. I'd completely disagree with that as well. If anything, the cs major will be a stronger coder because they may have had more exposure to data structures, algorithms, and alternative programming paradigms. They might have to pick up some coding conventions and practices, but these are relatively easy to learn and vary from company to company anyway.
To be clear, I think software engineering is a good degree. I just don't like when people claim one is superior to the other. If anything, it's a wash, and I've never seen a job that wouldn't happily hire either or all other things being equal (this is in Canada, where not just anyone can call themselves an engineer).
I have a degree in CS & Math along with roughly 20 years of experience in the industry... and I don't even know what the fuck this guy is on about.
The truth is your first few years out of school are going to be On The Job training so it doesn't matter. The CS major is going to be the stronger problem solver due to the education. So really that's what you have to ask yourself, do you want to learn how to code or learn how to solve problems.
I can tell you which skill I think is easier to learn and sure as shit isn't the mechanical act of coding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)