Eligibility for the MRBS? (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
velox said:
Im sorry if this seems a stupid question, but is medicine dominated with people who try to think they know everything and hence make u feel like shit? I.e. is it really full of arrogant people? Which uni is probably the most down to Earth (if there is a generalisation..)? (im assuming Adelaide?)
Yeah, this is why nobody can really make med-student stereotypes succesful. There just aren't any that seem to fit everyone for long enough to become catchy.

ishq

brown?
HSC
All the listings, preferences, notifying whether you would be willing to go for a BMP, applying for an MRBS, the John Flynn scholarship etc. are all after December right? After the UAI/UMAT?

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
ishq said:
All the listings, preferences, notifying whether you would be willing to go for a BMP, applying for an MRBS, the John Flynn scholarship etc. are all after December right? After the UAI/UMAT?
yep. from memory, preferences on BMP were in mid december for most unis (well newc and unsw at least). Dunno about MRBS, haven't ever looked into it. John Flynn scholarship applications (only for current med students) close in the next week or so.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Wrong, applications for JFSS closed on Friday 080405. Sorry.
For Med 2005 or Med 2006?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
how can a scholarship close for students who haven't been accepted into med shcool yet? *bangs head*
so to answer your question...2005

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Wrong, applications for JFSS closed on Friday 080405. Sorry.
Maybe for you - i have an email in my inbox telling me that applications for us have been extended til weds (13/4). I'm thinking about doing it, except its probably a bit late given i hadn't even thought about it til yesterday. Do you know if you can start the 4 years if you are a 2nd year, or is application for 1st years only?

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Applications are still open for us. You can start the 4 years in 2nd year as well, so don't worry if you miss it this year.

I'm not applying because I can't lie well enough to convince them that I'd like to see the country. I mean...writing a whole page on it? I do have friends who got it though, so I have a general idea what should be put down on the application.

Re an earlier question on arrogance: Most med students I know aren't arrogant. There are a couple of people who might have a bit of a complex about them, but they're in the minority. We still pay out arts students all the time though , so maybe they have a proper reason to call us arrogant.

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yeah robert applications have been extended for us too...

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
Skywalker said:
Applications are still open for us. You can start the 4 years in 2nd year as well, so don't worry if you miss it this year.

I'm not applying because I can't lie well enough to convince them that I'd like to see the country. I mean...writing a whole page on it? I do have friends who got it though, so I have a general idea what should be put down on the application.

Re an earlier question on arrogance: Most med students I know aren't arrogant. There are a couple of people who might have a bit of a complex about them, but they're in the minority. We still pay out arts students all the time though , so maybe they have a proper reason to call us arrogant.
Thanks for that. :)

I think med can often be quite cliquish - we're in it together, at a fairly intense pace, without really mixing with other faculties all that much. You can see how it would arise, how other students might perceive med as arrogant and withdrawn. But it's not, it's just cool.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm I didn't get any email about deadline extension. Which is stupid, since WA is practically THE rural clinical school, besides JCU.

"cliquish" is the most awful mangling of a word I've ever seen. I get your point, and agree entirely...but still.

ishq

brown?
HSC
inasero said:
how can a scholarship close for students who haven't been accepted into med shcool yet? *bangs head*
so to answer your question...2005
My bad.

sorry
:)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
velox said:
*Looks at lexis post count*
What was the point of that comment?

I just don't see it.

As for the scholarship closing, it may be just a really early closing date for pre-acceptance applications, like the Malcolm Chaiken at UNSW etc (only several months earlier).

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Dont worry. Maybe it was a little far fetched. Anyway do we get to know what the conditions are for mrbs before applying for it? I couldnt find a sheet of conditions =/ ?

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Hmm I didn't get any email about deadline extension. Which is stupid, since WA is practically THE rural clinical school, besides JCU.

"cliquish" is the most awful mangling of a word I've ever seen. I get your point, and agree entirely...but still.
English was never my forte. "Conducive to cliques" would be better, but longer to type. =\

Anyway - govt site on MRBS - http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wcms/publishing.nsf/Content/health-workforce-scholar-index.htm

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
inasero said:
u cant make generalisations about med schools like unsw is cool or adelaide is laid back (unless of course you have studied at all of them)...each uni has their arrogant and humble students.
*shrug* i swear.. a laid back one would be shit to be at.. ud learn nothin and be totally owned when u hit internship..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)