Elitist Selective school mentality makes me rage! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Class of 2014 Sydney Boys High School

99 PLUS ATAR FTW

PAIN IS TEMPORARY
VICTORY ENDURES FOR ETERNITY
SLEEP IS OPTIONAL
99+ ATAR IS A MUST

ahdil33

HSC
LOL that sounds exactly me.

But seriously wtf the test was way too easy. you know that when every single person says it's easy. The exam is meant to DISCRIMINATE. There should be easy parts, medium parts and hard parts. The whole multiple choice and short answer was a joooooooke...even the essays.

seriously I though, it's because some students do shitloads of study and learn heaps. It's just not fair that they couldn't display that knowledge, and someone who did far less can get a similar mark.

Fuck you BOS dumb cunts.

But I don't see why you should be angry. if people are cunts let them be, if it's not affecting you or anyone else who cares?

Jigram

HSC
I must say, that's absolutely amazing. People like that can quite literally change the world.
Honestly they are fantastic. I meet with my Legal teacher every Saturday morning from 7am until 9am. He doesn't get paid extra for it. He's got a wife and three kids at home that I'm sure he would rather spend time. My Ancient teacher sits in the staffroom with me and runs through sources for my Ancient HSC. My Society and Culture teacher stressed like you wouldn't believe about my PIP and was so happy when she read it for the last time. My Modern teacher begs us for more stuff to mark so we're more prepared. My English teacher spent every Monday and Friday lunchtime with me before my trials going through Yeats' poems.

Honestly, I have good parents, but I've never had a group of people care about me so much. All they want for me is the best that I can do. I wanted to be a barrister but I'm reconsidering. I'd love to be a teacher.

agapesis

HSC
I myself go NSG (and i am quite willing to admit that) and frankly I am insulted by your assertion that my parents in any way have paid "ridiculous amounts of money" for me to attend this school/get the results I do. I am assuming that you are implying here that my parents are paying for coaching? Selective schools are public after all and thus they're not paying that for my schooling.

I would like to clear this misconception up, I personally have never attended a coaching college, private tutor, anything. My parents have not paid "ridiculous amounts" for me to attend this school in any way, and despite the popularity of coaching, this is true for a fair proportion of my classmates. These stereotypes are just as invalid as those surrounding comprehensive schools.

Astro551

HSC
That's good, but selective schools still offer a crapload of opportunities.

- No bogans disrupting your classes.
- Competitive environment which motivates you and in the end, does bring up your internal mark to your extent.
- Special facilities/programs for gifted and talented students that other schools don't offer - for free.

Too many jimmies have been rustled.
Hmm not sure how bad the first point is but there are definitely disruptive people in selective schools (probably not to the same extent)
Your second point is quite fair, your mark will get dragged up due to the strong cohort
Not sure what "not sure what special facilities/programs" you're talking about we don't get piss all haha.... the guy who gets free tutoring after school gets more than us

Having fun at school and making good friends is more important anyway.

And yeh funding is all the same and sport probably.. so from a school experience perspective we're relatively similar! :)

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Meh why is everyone so hyped up? Never stepped into the real world - shit happens all the time.

ahdil33

HSC
I myself go NSG (and i am quite willing to admit that) and frankly I am insulted by your assertion that my parents in any way have paid "ridiculous amounts of money" for me to attend this school/get the results I do. I am assuming that you are implying here that my parents are paying for coaching? Selective schools are public after all and thus they're not paying that for my schooling.

I would like to clear this misconception up, I personally have never attended a coaching college, private tutor, anything. My parents have not paid "ridiculous amounts" for me to attend this school in any way, and despite the popularity of coaching, this is true for a fair proportion of my classmates. These stereotypes are just as invalid as those surrounding comprehensive schools.
Exactly neither have I. It's bullshit to say that they're doing well just because they paid more. Seriously for me the biggest thing in a selective school compared to a comprehensive is the environment; people around you makes all the difference.

inJust

HSC
On topic guys, I think I did shit for my eco essays... SIGH.

Jigram

HSC
@Astro I get free tutoring 'cause my school is a National Partnerships one.

@Agapepsis. I'll repeat again. Obviously when I was talking about "ridiculous amounts of money" I was talking about private schools. If you're lucky enough to have access to a selective school then that's fantastic. However the sentiment that is present throughout that media article is a reflection. It's implied, but it's there.

Jigram

HSC
I refer you all to the King's High School fees outline...

http://www.kings.edu.au/documents/fees-accounts/Boarding-and-Tuition-Fees-2012.pdf

Fuck paying 14,000 dollars for my kid to stick crayons up his nose and wet his pants in kindergarden...

As for the HSC, these schools are under pressure to leniently mark students because if you were paying 30,000 dollars for your child's education, and they're getting C's, you're going to be thinking about taking your business somewhere else. Also these schools have reputations to maintain, which further encourages lenient marking. Education should not be for profit, it encourages this behavior.

This is what makes the HSC exams bearable. Even if someone gets top marks because of a lenient teacher, they have to be able to do it in the exam. The exam makes it fair.

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
You haven't even experienced a disruptive learning environment until you've gone to a comprehensive school.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Out of pure honestly, not designed to offend anyone (but it does get somewhat racial but I'm trying to speak the truth). This is written to the best of my knowledge after attending a selective school (and comprehensive school).

1. Asian students (includes Indians etc) have a much higher tendency to attend coaching schools and tuition etc.
2. White people have a much higher tendency to do what they love and have no tuition/coaching.

Personally, I think tuition is usually a waste of time AND money.

1. I topped my school in Physics without any tutoring (my father taught me a bit) but otherwise, I didn't have tutoring. I can say that pretty much all of the top 30 received tutoring (at least all the Asians, curries etc) - scratch that, most Asians had tutoring for physics yet couldn't beat me (intention is to prove a point, not bragging). Why and how? I put proper effort in and relied on reliable sources only.
2. I went to tutoring for 4U (for SOME of the year) but eventually left because it had no effect on me - what actually changed me was the effort I put in (doing past papers equates to more understanding).
3. For English, I went to tutoring and it allowed me to have another perspective on my texts which proved to be useful but isn't necessary to do well.

There are a few points I want to make clear:
1. If you rely on tutoring in HSC, you're bound to fuck up down the road - university requires you to work independently and if you can't do that, you're fucked.
2. The cost of tutoring is generally NOT worth it - exceptions apply, of course (eg crap teacher etc)

Last edited:

sodam

HSC
Exactly neither have I. It's bullshit to say that they're doing well just because they paid more. Seriously for me the biggest thing in a selective school compared to a comprehensive is the environment; people around you makes all the difference.
you sir, are a genius

Jigram

HSC
A girl at my comprehensive school walked into an assessment task and exclaimed in a really nasally Australian voice: "Who the fuck's Augustus?!"

Enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)