ELL 161: English For Academic Purposes: A First Language Perspective (1 Viewer)

Terra_Niux

l337 h4x0r
HSC
N/A
Has anyone done this course? Did they find it hard? My course coordinator recommended that everyone doing our degree should choose it as an elective because it teaches you how to write properly at uni. But i'm not sure, I only did standard english. but I did come 1st, would it be too hard for me? Or should I just choose another subject?

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Terra_Niux said:
Has anyone done this course? Did they find it hard? My course coordinator recommended that everyone doing our degree should choose it as an elective because it teaches you how to write properly at uni. But i'm not sure, I only did standard english. but I did come 1st, would it be too hard for me? Or should I just choose another subject?
ELL161 is different to high school English.

However, if you feel you don't want to do it, then don't. Since it's an elective, it's ultimately your choice. Last year it was encouraged for all comspci students to do MATH141 or MATH187 and CSCI112 as electives. I didn't do either. I know MATH141/MATH187 and CSCI112 would help me, but I chose other subjects. The point of electives are that you get to choose.

That being said, it might be a nice idea to learn how to write proper essays/reports et cetera. The most important thing however, is to learn how to reference. It cannot be stressed enough how important it is to reference! The University's penalties for plagarism are severe. They are as small as a mark of naught for the assignment to exclusion from the university.

Anyway, if you really don't want to do ELL161, don't.

Lanily

HSC
I did that last year, as well as ELL171. The subject itself isn't very hard, I managed a H.D. And it helps with writing skills, it covers the basics and teaches you how to reference. If the Lecturer is the same as the one we had, you'll get no help if confused though. We asked her a couple of questions and she stared at me and sighed, pretty much the same response she gave to everyone. That being said I'd still do the subject again. My writing improved after I did it. It's just not the most exciting subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)