Emergency PIP HELLPPPP!!!! (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
hey guys!

so I'm having some trouble with my pip cross cultural component...

my pip is based on "the impact of endogamous culture in South Asia in shaping the rejection of interracial marriages"

its basically covering the ways in which the prevalent practice of same-race marriage shapes a rejection of mixed marriages. I was planning on doing my cross cultural study by comparing Pakistan (a South Asian country) with Australia (a western country) because both nations form part of my own identity. This was going to be my case study and I was going to dedicate an entire chapter on it.

HOWEVER - my teacher recently told me to instead of comparing Pakistan VS Australia - compare Pakistan and Pakistanis in Australia... and talk about westernisation and how that impacts South Asian views once asismilating into a western society.

does this still count as a cross cultural component since its still the same ethnicity??? if not do you guys have any ideas on what my cross cultural component should be if not that? I'm kind of panicking since the deadline is approaching soon...

please helppppp!!!!!! :((((

quickoats

HSC
hey guys!

so I'm having some trouble with my pip cross cultural component...

my pip is based on "the impact of endogamous culture in South Asia in shaping the rejection of interracial marriages"

its basically covering the ways in which the prevalent practice of same-race marriage shapes a rejection of mixed marriages. I was planning on doing my cross cultural study by comparing Pakistan (a South Asian country) with Australia (a western country) because both nations form part of my own identity. This was going to be my case study and I was going to dedicate an entire chapter on it.

HOWEVER - my teacher recently told me to instead of comparing Pakistan VS Australia - compare Pakistan and Pakistanis in Australia... and talk about westernisation and how that impacts South Asian views once asismilating into a western society.

does this still count as a cross cultural component since its still the same ethnicity??? if not do you guys have any ideas on what my cross cultural component should be if not that? I'm kind of panicking since the deadline is approaching soon...

please helppppp!!!!!! :((((
Yes, this is a valid cross-cultural component. My cross-cultural component was even more micro than that (asian-australian immigrants living in ethnic enclaves vs those who do not), but as long as you can draw comparisons you should be fine.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Culture extends beyond national boundaries, particularly due to factors such as migration, colonisation, and globalisation. As mentioned above, your Personal Interest Project cross-cultural component is valid.

I just want to suggest a few additional things for you to think about.

Since you’re a Pakistani Australian, have you considered the cultural impact that living in Australia (whether you were born in Australia or came to Australia at a young age) has had on you? Has living in Australia altered your perception of the endogamous culture in South Asia and marriage between people of different races? i.e. do you feel you support or at least don't mind interracial marriages? Or do you feel you have maintained the same view as your country of origin (opposition/rejection of interracial marriages)?

This is on an individual level. On a larger scale, if you compare the general view of Pakistani people who were born and raised in Pakistan to that of Pakistanis in Australia (whether they were born in Australia, came to Australia at a young age or even came to Australia as grown-ups but were still subject to cultural assimilation), you will definitely notice the differences, cultural and ideological, between the two groups.

I hope this helps! 😄

quickoats

HSC
Culture extends beyond national boundaries, particularly due to factors such as migration, colonisation, and globalisation. As mentioned above, your Personal Interest Project cross-cultural component is valid.

Since you’re a Pakistani Australian, have you considered the cultural impact that living in Australia (whether you were born in Australia or came to Australia at a young age) has had on you? Has living in Australia altered your perception of the endogamous culture in South Asia and marriage between people of different races? i.e. do you feel you support or at least don't mind interracial marriages? Or do you feel you have maintained the same view as your country of origin (opposition/rejection of interracial marriages)?

This is on an individual level. On a larger scale, if you compare the general view of Pakistani people who were born and raised in Pakistan to that of Pakistanis in Australia (whether they were born in Australia, came to Australia at a young age or even came to Australia as grown-ups but were still subject to cultural assimilation), you will definitely notice the differences, cultural and ideological, between the two groups.

I hope this helps! 😄
^^ self reflection is one of the key qualitative research methodologies in SaC so you might want to do this - might be meaningfulto your log as well.

HSC
N/A
Yes, this is a valid cross-cultural component. My cross-cultural component was even more micro than that (asian-australian immigrants living in ethnic enclaves vs those who do not), but as long as you can draw comparisons you should be fine.
right cool! thank you so much- I haven't been able to get much help from my teacher and this was such a big relief! - in terms of comparisons and integration into my pip - would you say that I discuss the pakistan vs Pakistani's in Aus comparison in every single paragraph?

my last chapter is basically talking about the factors that will drive further acceptance in South Asian diaspora for interracial marriages - how would I link that to Pakistanis in Australia?

Thanks again for your help!

HSC
N/A

I hope this helps! 😄
awesome ideas that ill definitely be including in my pip and my log - thank you so much!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)