emma/clueless transformation (1 Viewer)

skool_angel

does any1 know any good websites where i can find info on emma/clueless transformation??

what are the contexts and values and techniques of both novels?

thanz

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by skool_angel
does any1 know any good websites where i can find info on emma/clueless transformation??

what are the contexts and values and techniques of both novels?
Just briefly (I'm sure you'll find a LOT more about this elsewhere..):

Context -
Clueless was produced in 199_ (I don't know!) whereas Emma was written many many years ago (again insert a date). As a result you've got changes in society, perspectives, the ways people approach texts (novel -> film). Some of these changes are the roles of women in society, the rise of capitalism, etc.

Values - you've got the postmodern values espoused by the director of Clueless, who I also don't know, compared to the sentiments of the society in Austen's time. Other values include philosophies, ways of thinking, and ways of reacting to the texts..

Techniques - you should have a whole bunch of these by now! Literary techniques vs filmic techniques etc.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
re anti's post: just for the record, clueless was 1995 and directed by Amy Heckerling. Note the "skateboards are so five years ago" reference to the end of the 80s.

Emma was 1816 Georgian England. All of the stuff in anti's post about change in context and audience is really important to consider was spurred by the historical events on both novels. Just do some research on it, and you'll realise why the role of women was as it was in that time, and consequently how Austen has portrayed it in her novel.

Clueless plays on some of these values, and completely transforms others. eg. the concept of marriage as a foremost consideration of any woman in the 1810s (eg. Frank Churchill and Jane Fairfax's engagement in Emma) holds no weight or relevance in contemporary society, so it has been transformed into an issue of homosexuality (Christian in Clueless).

DC10

Emma - 19th century Georgian England society
Clueless - 1995 ( i believe) - Beverly Hills USA
from a romance novel its been transformed into a movie of the 'teenpic' genre.

values:
civility (behaviour of people) - compare Emma's Mr. Woodhouse with Mr. Horowitz and you will see the difference in values of their respective society.

society based on class compared to CLueless's society where it is based on the ability to consume and buy things, and look good etc.

acquisition of wealth: Clueless : Mr Horowitz gain wealth by occupation (of trade) as a litigation lawyer, while Mr. Woodhouse is a landed gentleman, born and raised wealthy.

etc..... blah blah blah blah blah

i am sure if you search up at google, you'll find something good :D
:)

DC10

yeap teacher taught us this, but he didn't really discuss to us what is similar between the two texts, and we had to make our points up in the essay :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)