Emma/clueless (1 Viewer)

Jackson

hey pplz i need help in this question:

Is the contemporary transformation you have studied anything more than a shadow of the classic text on which it was based?

Does "shadow" in this question mean similar storyline?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
umm.. 'is it anything more than a shadow.' it's asking if you can see the original in the new, if it is very evident, or if they have taken emma and changed it to clueless and you can't see any resembelance.

you could talk about storyline, but look at the syllabus as well - it will also need a discussion of attitudes, values, and context from my memory

s2ophie

HSC
I would say you would need to discuss the value of the latter text in comaprison to the original text. ie Is Clueless a straight adaptation of Emma or is it something more? Yes, clueless reflects the storyline of emma in a contempory context where values, beliefs etc have changed. Understanding Emma allows us to appreciate Clueless more as we see how society has stayed the same and how it has changed?

Does that make sense? If you want me to clarify something, just ask!

Jackson

yeh it does make sense.. thanx :) will you be able to give me some points as to what has stayed the same in both societies?

s2ophie

HSC
ummm

the concept that the movie ends with a wedding ie even though it is not Cher who gets married,she settles and is apparently happy because she has a man. Also the fact that a wedding is an appropriate conclusion

i had something else but i completely forgot it. I would focus on the changes such as the outdoors has become the mall, its no longer a quest to find a husband but a quest to lose your virginity etc

I don't know, i'm tired! I'll get back to you!

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
yea i think the shadow in that question has a sort of negative connotation. you need to say what s2ophie said about how both are works of their own right, reflecting their contexts etc., by studying the process of transformation we gain insight etc.

something you could talk about is how important hierarchy is in Emma, while in clueless, this is replaced by materialism/appearances. (different context, allow comparison) and all that schmuzzle. try comparing characters, or scenes, or maybe themes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)