Employer discrimination based on which UNI you did? (1 Viewer)

Felix-x34

Asylum Request Pending
HSC
Hey there,

I just wanted to ask folks if they believe employers discriminate on the basis of WHERE applicants got their degree, and if so to what extent.

Im intending to become a public servant, that is, work in the government sector. Whats the govt's attitude on this? Do they care whether you got your Social Science degree at SYD as supposed to UWS?

Cheers,

DTFM

HSC
I don't know if the government would take it into consideration. In fact, the only real field in Australia where university prestige seems to matter is Law.

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
Mate's girlfriend did her degree at the University of Western Sydney, Parramatta Campus and now works in Canberra for defense budgeting. She did some experience at H&R Block as well. You just need to be dedicated and show you have experience and commitment.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
DTFM said:
I don't know if the government would take it into consideration. In fact, the only real field in Australia where university prestige seems to matter is Law.
Not even true (as much) for law these days as well.

Also, if anything, the government would take into consideration the uni you are an alumni of, the least. It seems to be, only in the private (competitive) sector that uni rankings mean anything.

Charizard

HSC
If you dont go to USYd or UNSW you may aswell just get on the doll early and save yourself a HECS fee.

HSC
Charizard said:
If you dont go to USYd or UNSW you may aswell just get on the doll early and save yourself a HECS fee.
it's spelled dole.. either you didn't go to USyd or UNSW, or my UTS learning is just as good as any universitiy.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I go to CSU and our graduate employment rate, especially in teaching and nursing is fantastic.
We don't have law or engineering, but otherwise the uni has great degrees and is rated highly for its graduate employment rate.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Felix-x34 said:
Hey there,

I just wanted to ask folks if they believe employers discriminate on the basis of WHERE applicants got their degree, and if so to what extent.

Im intending to become a public servant, that is, work in the government sector. Whats the govt's attitude on this? Do they care whether you got your Social Science degree at SYD as supposed to UWS?

Cheers,
Maccas don't care whether you got your arts degree from USyd or CSU.

puglover

HSC
Interesting.
Cheers for bringing up the topic.
It has got me thinking aswell.

HSC
i believe with public health care, well when it comes to hospital labs anyway, they don't really care. they actually want people with TAFE skills most of the time. Not sure what they say about nurses, but I guess they can't be too fussy consierin git's a national priority. Doctors, well there's only a handful of places.. but I have a suspicion they'd probably choose the wank prestige. Though for research in public health, i don't think they'd discriminate. As long as you've got your phd with a respectable topic and legitimate mentor, it should be smooth sailing.

X

xeuyrawp

withoutaface said:
Maccas don't care whether you got your arts degree from USyd or CSU.
olol. Another cleverly-placed arts joke.

ChrisQ

HSC
I'd like to think that any degree, regardless of where it have been obtained, is what you make of it.

Yes some may be looked upon better for attending Uni A over B but it's all up to you how much you put in.

summermagic

HSC
I've heard that finance companies in the private sectors may use uni's when trying to draw up a short list for a job opening. I'm guessing UNSW and USyd sound most prestigious. How does Macquarie rate? I wouldn't mind going there and I see nothing wrong with it. The odd thing that strikes me is that the UAI is much lower at only 82.55 for Bcommerce. Why is this? A prestige thing due to low demand?

Last edited:

hannahxxx

HSC
Don't know about a social science degree, but as a few people have pointed out law degrees are sometimes brand marked by universities. I go to Macquarie uni and there are some mid and top tier law firms that only hire from USyd and UNSW. And yeah they pretty much don't even look at the resumes of any other unis. I've heard from my boss that they pretend to though. Its all very subtle and MUCH more widespread than people think. It is getting better these days but yeah.....
To be perfectly honest I wouldn't want to work for a place that is too short sighted and ignorant to consider that some of the top kids go to other unis. Or that a great hsc mark and the uni you go to will be an unquestionable determinant of your character, work ethic etc.
The best way to find out if the uni you've gone to will influence your chances is to ring up the sector you wanna work for/ask around/try and get stats off the net with regards to uni grads

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)