Enabling ICS in xp (1 Viewer)

Huss

HSC
N/A
in win xp, how can u enable ICS. my modem (motorola SB4200 surfboard--cable) doesnt have the option to enable ICS. which becomes a pain if someone wants to use the internet while someone else is playing ps2 online.

help plz

Winston

HSC
Heh you a bigpond user?

right click on my network places go to properties

look for your Motorola LAN connection right click on it and go to properties and there should be a advanced tab ICS should be there if not then its not yet configured, so go into network wizard setup and follow the wizard.

Huss

HSC
N/A
no im with optus and when i go to properties it doesnt have it and when i go to the nketwork wizard setup it wont create a connection because it cant. dunno y??

/Edit: it says that "Other computers cannot connect to the internet through this computer.

In addition to its internet connection, this computer must have a connection to your computer."

dunno whats wrong.

Last edited:

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huss
no im with optus and when i go to properties it doesnt have it and when i go to the nketwork wizard setup it wont create a connection because it cant. dunno y??
add me on msn, from my profile ill remote desktop with u tommorow and ill help u do it.

Huy

HSC
N/A
email??....
See Winston's profile
winnyston_z@hotmail.com (hope it's okay to post it Winston, since it is accesible via your profile anyway, publicly).

Question: Do you have a router Huss? I believe Optus will only allow one IP address at a time, and if your nodes (PS2, computers) are connected to a switch, only one computer on the network can have an assigned DHCP IP at any given time. This means that it is not possible for you to run ICS or share the connection, unless you purchase an additional router, on top of your existing switch (if any) - please tell me you're not running cross-over cables alone.

If you don't want to buy a router, then you will need to have a similar setup to:

Cable Modem -> NIC on your PC, another NIC in your PC

All connected to your hub, or switch, with each other node (PS2, PCs) connected to your hub (switch), if any.

Otherwise, (since I am not an Optus customer, never have been, never will be) - you're not giving me many alternative solutions, sorry.

edit
If not, download WinGate or WinRoute, or a SyGate solution and you should be able to setup your main PC as a gateway.

www.wingate.com
www.sygate.comw
www.kerio.com

Last edited:

Huss

HSC
N/A
well the cable modem its elf has a ethernet RJ45 slot at the back where i connect my ps2 to and i have to turn of my computer and unplug it from the modem so i can play online.

the modem is usb btw, i was just wondering how to enable ics so someone can use the internet while someone else is playing.

Huy

HSC
N/A
well the cable modem its elf has a ethernet RJ45 slot at the back where i connect my ps2 to and i have to turn of my computer and unplug it from the modem so i can play online.

the modem is usb btw,
I have always steered clear of USB modems, I would even use a PCI modem over USB, but the most popular method is to be on Ethernet (for the modem).

You still didn't answer my question, but I am going to have to make an assumption here, that you do not have a hub, or switch - because you tell me that you have to turn off the PC, to connect the PS2, therefore you are only having 1 connection, unpluging the network cable from your PC (NIC) and connecting that to your PS2 Network Adapter.

Have you setup your network (or PS2) through the supplied Network Access Disc?
Do you know your own IP configuration details (on your desktop PC)?
Have you ran the supplied diagnostics (see Network Access Disc)?
Have you entered your details manually?
Do you know your own primary and secondary DNS servers?
Are you using DHCP to assign IP addresses?
Do you have all of your ISP details (Optus)?

There are plenty of other questions, but I do not have Optus Cable, so I would not know 'everything' concerning OptusNet (formerly Optus@Home Cable), and you should also set up a (proper) network, rather than doubling-up on an existing connection.

I cannot help you otherwise, because of the sheer logistics and hassles involved. Maybe Winston will bother to help you, tomorrow (or today) via Remote Desktop.

Winston

HSC
Meh i was remoting with him, and all in all i think enabling ICS would be quite impossible without a NIC in his comp lol! :p...

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
Meh i was remoting with him, and all in all i think enabling ICS would be quite impossible without a NIC in his comp lol! :p...
Hahaha!

Huss: Purchase one NIC, purchase two NICs, purchase a switch, purchase a router, purchase a thousand metres of Cat5e cables, purchase something other than what you've got at the moment.

You are asking for the impossible, if you have:

Connected your PS2 to your cable modem by connecting it through your PS2 USB ports, looked for the Ethernet jack and plugged anything that fits in there, and if you haven't used the Network Access Disc (supplied with your PS2 Network Adapter) properly.

I believe you have a very bad network setup at the moment, or, now that I think about it, you don't even have a network at all! It's just one PC, connected to a USB cable modem, and everytime you (try) to use the PS2 over the Internet (Central Station Network Gaming) then all you are doing is trying to "convert" the PS2 into your PC - taking the cable modem, which uses a USB connection (as you've noted) and plugging that into your PS2 and expecting the PS2 to "become" your new PC (while the PC remains disconnected and offline, while you (attempt) to play PS2 games online.

This is a very bad situation for you, because I would suggest and thoroughly recommend that you setup a network of some sort, even if it's a basic one, have at least TWO Network Interface Cards in your PC, to act as a Gateway, go out and purchase a simple switch, or if you want to, a router will also do the same thing, find out everything you can about OptusNet Cable's Primary and Secondary DNS servers, assign your own (internal) IP addresses to both the PC and PS2 (different IPs), and either setup your own DHCP server on your router and then allow the automatic assigning of (one) IP address to your device, whichever it may be at the time of use. If not, then you are screwed I'm afraid - this is the same for Xbox Live!

(I have a friend who has a PS2 and Xbox and has trouble connecting both to the Internet, using cross-over cables and a badly configured network, no IP addresses are assigned, they are all automatic, he doesn't know his own DNS servers and has no idea what's going on in terms of ICS, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't).

I am not Sony Australia/PS2 Central Station (Online) division technical support, or OptusNet Cable Internet support. :p

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy

I am not Sony Australia/PS2 Central Station (Online) division technical support, or OptusNet Cable Internet support. :p
Amen :) lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)