Encore (1 Viewer)

kylie_robbo

Why haven't I found a topic about it yet??

So, your opinion?
The best performance?
The worst performance?

Was it worth the distance that you travelled?

I travelled six hours to see it (we did other stuff too) and yeah it was good, and I'm glad that I went, but I won't go next year (cos it will be 12 hours travelling) unless a friend gets to perform.

5c

HSC
the rapper one is something different
i liked nearly all da compositions

kylie_robbo

Yeah the Rap one was really well composed, but really poorly performed... those girls could not sing together!

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
hey, at least you guys got to see it :(
our school was going to go, but our exams were on the same day...
i tried to organise a non-school thing, but it didn't happen...
were there any bass players? :p

ccgs_jono

as a wannabe composer I thought the best two compositions were 'Caprice for Oboe and Strings' by the girl from Kambala... mainly because I love Impressionism, ummm and 'Tango Subio' by the MLC girl...yeah...umm most of the performances were awesome as always, the Taiko drums rocked! and the Erhu was realllllly interesting (gave me some ideas), all in all it was a really amazing concert. While it inspired me heaps, I was also daunted by the standard the BOS expect from us....ciao!

kylie_robbo

Originally posted by Crikket
hey, at least you guys got to see it :(
our school was going to go, but our exams were on the same day...
Hahaha... our exams were meant to be last week, but because we orgainised the Encore trip as soon as the tickets went on sale (December last year) the school moved the exams to this week...

Yep... I exam down, four to go... (in two days! )

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
whooaaa ur school moved ur exams coz of eNcOrE?!
gosh so lucky..

Josephine

HSC
Hmm... my whole class thought it was disappointing compared to previous years. Too jazz/pop orientated, and some items were in there just for variety, not for quality. The erhu, taiko drums and clarinet were good though.

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
hehe i found dis on da net lol

Erhu
The most popular Chinese bowed-string instrument

The Chinese 2-stringed, vertical fiddle has a history of more than 500 years. It started to be popular in Southern China during the Sung Dynasty (960-1279 AD), which gave it another name "Nan-hu" (the word "south" pronounced in Chinese as "Nan"). Erhu is still the most popular bowed instrument in today's Chinese music. An erhu is quite different from a western fiddle. There is a vertical post with a fingerboard which goes through the sides of a resonator at its base. This resonator is covered with a piece of stretched snake-skin (python), which results in a unique "whining" tone color of the instrument. The bow for the erhu is placed between its two strings. Traditionally the two strings are made of silk, although metallic strings are used as well. The player of an erhu usually sits, and the erhu is placed on his left upper thigh in front of his left hip. The instrument is played by moving the bow horizontally through the two vertical strings. Erhu's range spans about three octaves. It has some of the qualities of a violin, but having a more nasal tone. Erhu is capable of producing a gentle but firm tone.

so there u go lol thats wat an erhu is :)

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
oh n dat made me realise.. that was slack but sorta funny wat the audience did to her (the erhu player) during her performance.. hehe they clapped in the middle thinking it finished etc..

hehe

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
hehe that's why you're meant to wait until the performer takes their hand off the instrument (or gives a sign that he/she has finished etc)....

dammit i really wanted to go to encore, my class went lsat year and it wsa brilliant! forgot to call my old teacher, though :( oh well. next year!

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
yeah go next year.. next year will be HEAPZ good... i can just feel it..

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
but den again, everyone was sooo hyper that nite!!! puaah

thebearcub

Originally posted by moon_styla
hehe i found dis on da net lol

Erhu
The most popular Chinese bowed-string instrument

The Chinese 2-stringed, vertical fiddle has a history of more than 500 years. It started to be popular in Southern China during the Sung Dynasty (960-1279 AD), which gave it another name "Nan-hu" (the word "south" pronounced in Chinese as "Nan"). Erhu is still the most popular bowed instrument in today's Chinese music. An erhu is quite different from a western fiddle. There is a vertical post with a fingerboard which goes through the sides of a resonator at its base. This resonator is covered with a piece of stretched snake-skin (python), which results in a unique "whining" tone color of the instrument. The bow for the erhu is placed between its two strings. Traditionally the two strings are made of silk, although metallic strings are used as well. The player of an erhu usually sits, and the erhu is placed on his left upper thigh in front of his left hip. The instrument is played by moving the bow horizontally through the two vertical strings. Erhu's range spans about three octaves. It has some of the qualities of a violin, but having a more nasal tone. Erhu is capable of producing a gentle but firm tone.

so there u go lol thats wat an erhu is :)
wow, i thought it was just a chinese lute :p

thebearcub

i reckon the 'Tango Subio' was really good composition. the when the MC said that the MLC girl used material by Ginastera and Piazzolla i went whoa! that's so cool! ^^

(i'm going an essay on piazzolla's music for musicology elective)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)